Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Are we seeing the end of the most recent "golden age" of Linux gaming?
dvd commented on 18 September 2019 at 5:15 am UTC

Mountain Man
dvd'Linux' in general needs no more knowledge than windows...
Assuming it is already installed and properly configured, this is arguably true. However, the average user does not have the skill set to download, install, and configure Linux whereas using Windows or OSX is as easy as buying a new computer and turning it on.

Assuming it is already installed and properly configured, this is arguably true. If not, you need additional operating systems just to format the drive.

Mountain Man commented on 18 September 2019 at 2:39 pm UTC

dvd
Mountain Man
dvd'Linux' in general needs no more knowledge than windows...
Assuming it is already installed and properly configured, this is arguably true. However, the average user does not have the skill set to download, install, and configure Linux whereas using Windows or OSX is as easy as buying a new computer and turning it on.
Assuming it is already installed and properly configured, this is arguably true. If not, you need additional operating systems just to format the drive.
Working in IT, I've done numerous fresh installs of Windows and OSX onto brand new hard drives and have never had a problem. In each case, the installers are smart enough to automatically format the drives. Granted, they don't give you advanced options like partitioning or multiple file systems, but that's not something the average consumer would ever need, or even know what to do with.

Another thing that Windows and OSX do that Linux distros typically don't is walk the user through the first-time setup with lots of helpful "Click here to make this work, you idiot" dialog boxes. It's more common for Linux distos to simply dump you onto the desktop, and if something doesn't work, it's entirely on the user to figure it out. I'm not saying that Linux distros can't be made more user friendly; it's just that most aren't.

tonR commented on 18 September 2019 at 3:49 pm UTC

QuoteAre we seeing the end of the most recent "golden age" of Linux gaming?
No.

Are we seeing the Linux gaming currently enters an new, uncharted territory?
Yes.
Linux gaming right now is complex situation now. Too big for niche, too small for mainstream.

You know, video game industry in it's current will be certainly collapse/crash, just we don't know when.
Many video gaming people (non-shill, not bias, not liar and certainly not ignorant) from fans to journalists to developers etc., etc., predicting video game will crash anytime.
So, this is gonna be a good test for Linux gaming durability to withstand the ups and downs of video game industry.

Linux gaming survivability will be put on test for the first time ever. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

kaiman commented on 18 September 2019 at 8:43 pm UTC

tonRYou know, video game industry in it's current will be certainly collapse/crash, just we don't know when.
I am waiting for the big publishers/developers to crash and burn for years, but right now there seem enough people content to buy the same dog food in new cans year after year. Have to admit the cans do get prettier each year, though ;-).

I don't think indie games will go anywhere as a whole, either, although I guess on an individual level only few will achieve prolonged success. And it'll be mostly indie games we'll continue to see on Linux, and likely more and more of them in the future.

So to come back to the original question: if by "golden age" the OP is mostly referring to AAA titles making their way to Linux, then I'd consider us currently past the prime. Overall, we're still golden, however, just no longer growing by leaps and bounds. I guess for that to change again it would take a couple of the massively successful multiplayer titles to become available. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

Liam Dawe commented on 18 September 2019 at 11:14 pm UTC

The crash will mostly be silent, it's happening all around us but most don't see it due to how many new games come out all the time. Developers are constantly talking about Steam not making them enough money when previous titles sold like hot cakes, too many titles and so on. The crash already started but it's so easy to get started making games now, that they will continue to flow in from people doing it as hobbies for indies and AAA will continue on pumping money into shit as they always do.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts