You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Stadia Founders Thread
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
Liam Dawe May 5, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabatstill no way of running stadia on a normal chromecast? just checking maybe someone has hacked in and found a way.
No and and it likely won't happen as the hardware doesn't have what it needs.

Quoting: Corben
Quoting: drlambI, admittedly, haven't spent that much time looking into hardware acceleration. I allow my CPU to brute force it and with 32 threads that's not an issue.
My CPU can handle it as well, it would just have been nice to use the parts of your hardware that are optimized for this.

Quoting: drlambI use the Stadia+ extension to force 4K via the VP9 codec. There is no other way to play Stadia at 4K unless you have a 4K monitor. You of course also need a Pro subscription to be able to stream 4K.
This is perfect! I didn't know about this extension. Being able to select 1080p here is all I wanted. Thank you!
The problem with hardware acceleration is how Google don't want to enable it on Linux, they repeatedly claim drivers aren't good enough in the past. With how powerful even low-end CPUs are nowadays, it's not too big an issue unless you are trying to play on older hardware. That said, my rubbish laptop can handle it perfectly at 720p over wireless, which is great considering it can barely run anything at 720p native (and Steam Play is out of the picture as no Vulkan support for the GPU).

I do hope eventually Google enable it, or at least stop making it so the force enable is a lie (it doesn't do anything).

Also recently I did notice it kept giving me 720p, so Stadia+ has been my saviour. Google absolutely NEED to officially add a way to pick between them and display it officially. Ridiculous it doesn't.
With Firefox getting hardware accel on Wayland, perhaps things will change eventually on that front...

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 5 May 2020 at 4:35 pm UTC
slavezeo May 7, 2020
I finally tried the Stadia+ extension and I am pleased as punch with it. For some reason Stadia was rendering at 720p on my 1440p monitor, according to the Stadia+ overlay. I enabled the overlay first to see how it behaved before changing any setting which could make things better / worse. If set to automatic I get only 720P, but if set to 1080p or 4k the overlay returns Stadia is rendering at each resolution respectively. Of course it is still displaying at 1440p on my monitor but each resolution has varying degrees of fuzziness.

My Stadia controllers work great with chrome. It's nice to not have Steam pop up every time I hit the home button as it does when wired. I got the Wasabi Green Stadia controller and it's so dang beautiful. I sound so stupid saying that, but it is a relaxing color to look at.

As much as I generally do not enjoy multiplayer shooters I am enjoying the crap out of Zombie Army 4. My Stadia tag is SlaveZeo if anyone wants to add me and run some missions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.