PSU fried, need new rig
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
whatever Oct 20, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaHave to say I was really close to pulling the trigger yesterday, with this lot
I used the same Corsair RAM kit with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 and I had to return it because it was unstable at 3200 XMP, I changed it with a pair of Kingston HyperX. Maybe I got unlucky, but I wonder if they really do any QA... just test your system thoroughly with Memtest and prime95.

Quoting: PangaeaWith "AIO" do you refer to the cooling solution here, or the computer as a whole? Apparently it stands for "all-in-one".
In the context of CPUs, AIOs are all-in-one liquid coolers (which IMHO are a waste of money).
If your current beefy Noctua air cooler is compatible with the AM4 socket, just reuse it, it'll be fine.

Quoting: Pangaea10 or 16 120-140mm fans inside? WTF?!
Lol. A 140mm on the back and a 120mm on the front will do wonders keeping your graphics card and CPU cooler for longer, and reducing the noise with medium level workloads.
If you use fans like the be quiet silent wing or the equivalent from noctua, they are inaudible at low rpm.
whatever Oct 20, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlAMD_DEBUG=nodma
I've been testing with this env variable enabled system wide, and haven't had a freeze since.
Maybe I'll keep this 5700XT...
Pangaea Oct 20, 2019
That is promising, although I also saw from the linked bug thread that people were using that and still getting crashes. Just not quite as frequent.

On the fan thing, I did read from several places that it made sense to have for instance two fans blowing air in, and one blowing air out. Partly to counter reduced airflow in from dust filters and such, and partly to create overpressure to reduce dust getting sucked in. How much truth there is to that I don't know, but if I go with the Phanteks P600 chassis, it comes with 3 140mm fans, so no need to buy anything else.

Some users and a review posted those fans were excellent, even better than Noctua, while others said they were cack. So who knows :D
whatever Oct 20, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaThat is promising, although I also saw from the linked bug thread that people were using that and still getting crashes. Just not quite as frequent.
Knocking wood....

Quoting: Pangaeait made sense to have for instance two fans blowing air in, and one blowing air out.
Yes, it's commonly suggested 2 in 1 out to have positive pressure and keep the dust outside.
I personally opted for 140mm back, 120mm bottom, 120mm front.

Quoting: PangaeaSome users and a review posted those fans were excellent, even better than Noctua, while others said they were cack. So who knows :D
I can say my case came with €10-level fans and, even though they are not loud, I can definitely hear them at idle. I'm contemplating replacing them with silent wings which are dead silent (I have 1 of them on my other PC).
Shmerl Oct 20, 2019
Just note that nodma is a workaround, since it supposedly reduces performance. So better enable it on applications basis, not system wide.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.