You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Mojotron
Dennis_Payne Oct 20, 2019
Mojotron is an old open source Robotron: 2084 like game. I got it up and running again on Fedora. (You can compile it on other distributions but it requires ClanLib 0.6 which most distros don't have,)

I have begun working on a remastered version of the game. This will be easier to build due to switching to SDL2. The graphics will be more consistent. Source is not available yet. The plan is to finish the remastered version and launch a kickstarter in 20202022. The game will remain open source. This is an experiment on my part to try to find funding for open source game development. Feel free to offer comment.

Last edited by Dennis_Payne on 6 August 2022 at 10:44 am UTC
Dennis_Payne Aug 6, 2022
Launching the Kickstarter took a lot longer than I initially planned and I got distracted by other projects. Even now I'm probably launch too early. I should have tried harder to get media exposure and built a mailing list but enough waiting.

Mojotron: Robot Wars Kickstarter
Mojotron: Robot Wars Website
Mojotron: Robot Wars Trailer
whizse Aug 9, 2022
Backed it!

Good luck with the campaign! So far everything I've backed on Kickstarter have succeeded so don't go ruin my streak now...
Dennis_Payne Aug 9, 2022
Thanks for the support @whizse. I'm not planning on failing. Although I don't think you should worry about your track record. I back things even when I think it won't make it to let the creator know I'm interested. Babe Ruth had a record number of homeruns and a record number of strikeouts.

I appeared as a guest on the LinuxGameCast #520.
TimeFreeze Aug 10, 2022
Looks nice! Would love to support it, but sadly Kickstarter doesnt accept PayPal, and i do not own a credit card.
Dennis_Payne Aug 10, 2022
Quoting: TimeFreezeLooks nice! Would love to support it, but sadly Kickstarter doesnt accept PayPal, and i do not own a credit card.
Just spreading word of the project would be a great help as I'm bad at marketing. If you really want to support the project monetarily, there are t-shirt available and I do plan on putting it on itch.io. By the time it is on itch.io the source will be available so you don't have to buy it if you don't want to.
TimeFreeze Aug 10, 2022
Well guess i'll share the project then, because funny enough the Shop which sells those t-shirts also only accepts credit card.
Dennis_Payne Aug 10, 2022
Sorry about that. I should have checked to see what it accepts. I'll be sure to post when it is available on itch.io.
TimeFreeze Aug 10, 2022
Quoting: Dennis_PayneSorry about that. I should have checked to see what it accepts. I'll be sure to post when it is available on itch.io.

No worries! Looking forward to the release on itch.io then.
Dennis_Payne Aug 13, 2022
A friend streamed the latest version of Mojotron: Robot Wars if you want to see it in action.
Dennis_Payne Sep 23, 2022
Mojotron: Robot Wars is now available on itch.io. It doesn't have my complete vision for the game but open source is better when you get things out there. More updates will be coming in the future.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.