Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «3/21»
  Go to:
Tuxee Nov 7, 2019
I suppose the teams developing the hardware are much heavier on resources. Makes you wonder why the can't dish out this little extra money for a reasonable software team.
Pangaea Nov 12, 2019
Quoting: YoRHa-2B- but it's impossible to recommend AMD GPUs at the moment. They are doing the best they can to live up the memes of their drivers being shit, and if they don't get it together some time next year, I'll have no choice but to jump ship again.

Harsh, but probably fair as well, especially since there are issues on Windows too. I really wanted to swap over to AMD, but all these driver issues, with no solution in sight, makes it very hard. Pretty sad really, when the products themselves seem to be really good.

This is going *way* back, to when ATI existed and I had a Radeon 8500 card. Back then the drivers weren't exactly up to snuff either, and I remember we used an alternative called Omega or some such. Those drivers gave much better performance in games. Does something like that exist today?

Last edited by Pangaea on 12 November 2019 at 5:07 am UTC
Shmerl Nov 12, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaThis is going *way* back, to when ATI existed and I had a Radeon 8500 card. Back then the drivers weren't exactly up to snuff either, and I remember we used an alternative called Omega or some such. Those drivers gave much better performance in games. Does something like that exist today?

radv is an alternative to AMD's provided Vulkan driver (amdvlk). And it's high quality.

I can play TW3 using RX 5700XT (with radv) just fine. While amdvlk produces this:

As for kernel issues, they are going to iron them out over time. 5.4-rc7 already got better.

Last edited by Shmerl on 12 November 2019 at 5:09 am UTC
whatever Nov 12, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlAs for kernel issues, they are going to iron them out over time. 5.4-rc7 already got better.

Ah the good ol' AMD Fine Wine ...
Seriously though, Navi's launch on Linux could have been better.
Pangaea Nov 12, 2019
Probably good for AMD that nobody anywhere are writing about this, apart from the odd post here and on reddit (and we know what happens there...). Otherwise their sales on Black Friday and towards Xmas would probably be impacted more. I hoped the problems would be solved by then, but it sadly doesn't look very likely.

It's so great to have AMD back and some real competition again, but they really need to get their drivers in order.
Shmerl Nov 12, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaI hoped the problems would be solved by then, but it sadly doesn't look very likely.

My estimation is that kernel 5.4.x with Mesa 19.3.x will be good enough. These are due to be out soon. Though for Mesa llvm10 so far is reported to have most bug fixes.

Last edited by Shmerl on 12 November 2019 at 10:14 pm UTC
Pangaea Nov 15, 2019
Noticed a firmware-upgrade of sorts in the update manager today. Any good news or is this unrelated?

QuoteFirmware for Radeon RX5700 (navi10) missing / boot failure
(LP: #1848848)
- amdgpu: add initial navi10 firmware
Shmerl Nov 15, 2019
Firmware has been out for a while. The only recent update is something related to hardware video acceleation (VCN).
Pangaea Nov 16, 2019
I check out the relevant bug thread now and then... shots fired recently. And rather understandably to be honest. If I had had this card for months without any real progress on fixing such elemental issues, I'd be pissed off as well :(

(edit: first quote got auto-hidden; expand to view it)
QuoteIs this seriously what AMD calls "support"? No offense but this is ridiculous, this card has been out for four months and it still can't even browse firefox reliably, even after these "workarounds" and "patches".

Then we waited two months for the drivers to even get properly released, and all this wait was for nothing because the drivers are useless, you can't even browse firefox or let alone play any actual games. What is the point of having open source drivers if they don't even work? Nvidia's GPUs have had day one support, and unlike AMD, "support" actually means the GPU works for something that is meaningful.

QuoteI wouldn't really call what is happening here "support". Really feels like us Linux users were thrown to the side with little consideration.

QuoteBeen following this thread for a while now. Can't believe this has been known for 3 months, without a fix released.

Just a moment ago a random freeze occurred running Firefox and other applications, no games. Spotify kept playing in the background. Cursor not moving and unable to open another shell.

Last edited by Pangaea on 16 November 2019 at 1:25 am UTC
dvd Nov 16, 2019
Where is this thread? I have the exact same issue with older hardware that your last qoute described. CPU or GPU hang the system sometime at low loads.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.