Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «4/21»
  Go to:
Pangaea Nov 16, 2019
Quoting: dvdWhere is this thread? I have the exact same issue with older hardware that your last qoute described. CPU or GPU hang the system sometime at low loads.
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111481
tuubi Nov 17, 2019
Quoting: dvdWhere is this thread? I have the exact same issue with older hardware that your last qoute described. CPU or GPU hang the system sometime at low loads.
I had this problem with my Polaris GPU, but it only happened during video playback, and I fixed it by disabling hardware video decoding. This was quite a while ago though, so I just turned it all back on to see if the problem persists.

(In case you use mpv, add hwdec=off to your ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf. In Kodi you'll find it in Settings->System->Video in Expert mode. Firefox: media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled in about:config.)
dvd Nov 18, 2019
Quoting: tuubi
I had this problem with my Polaris GPU, but it only happened during video playback, and I fixed it by disabling hardware video decoding. This was quite a while ago though, so I just turned it all back on to see if the problem persists.

(In case you use mpv, add hwdec=off to your ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf. In Kodi you'll find it in Settings->System->Video in Expert mode. Firefox: media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled in about:config.)

My problem is it most frequently happens on low system loads. Firefox never crashed the computer for me playing youtube. The computer mainly freezes when i leave it for a few minutes without something beefy like video playback or video games playing in the background, or when i read the news online.

It is not exactly frequent either, sometimes i go a week or two without it appearing.

Last edited by dvd on 18 November 2019 at 5:51 am UTC
MaCroX95 Nov 18, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaOtherwise their sales on Black Friday and towards Xmas would probably be impacted more.

Most people who buy Navi gpus don't care about what kind of drivers it has for linux, 90% of the world runs on Windows so less linux buyers wouldn't impact their sales very much.
Pangaea Nov 27, 2019
What's going on with this now? The bugzilla report has been closed/moved and marked as resolved for some reason. The new gitlab report has nobody assigned to it yet, and no more comments. Does AMD still not care about this serious issue?

Black Friday is just around the corner and a couple of months back I had the intention of buying a new computer. But there isn't exactly much point forking out maybe ~1500 EUR/USD/equivalent for a shining new computer that doesn't work. Have to say I'm very disappointed in AMD over this issue :(
Shmerl Nov 27, 2019
It was moved because all Mesa and amdgpu bugs are moving from Bugzilla to Gitlab instance.

For the most part, the situation is good now (only some minor annoyances remain, nothing breaking). Random desktop hangs are gone.

One important patch is still pending to land upstream and I hope it will get into 5.4.1: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/341008/

In a few weeks, Mesa 19.3 with llvm10 should come out, which will make things very stable out of the box. So I'd say you can already get a Navi card for gaming while it's now on sale.

Last edited by Shmerl on 27 November 2019 at 5:43 pm UTC
Pangaea Nov 27, 2019
That sounds more promising at least, though it seems from this thread and the bugzilla report that much still remained unstable, unless something has changed in the last week?

Unfortunately none of the hardware I looked at is on sale, but I'll see on Friday what happens then, and decide whether I buy or not. Leaning towards no, but we shall see. At this point I may as well wait until the next AMD card comes out. Although if that one too takes 6-9 months to become stable, it's kinda pointless :-/
Pangaea Nov 29, 2019
Not one of the pieces of hardware I was interested in is part of the Black Friday/Week sales, so I'm postponing a new computer. Hopefully these driver issues will be properly sorted by the time I have another look.
whatever Nov 29, 2019
Stay very far away from Navi people. I updated my kernel to 5.4.1 hoping to find some stability, and I'm still getting frequent hangs at random while working on the desktop with various programs, for something related to powerplay:

[ 7642.362475] amdgpu: [powerplay] Failed to export SMU metrics table!
[ 7644.599482] amdgpu: [powerplay] failed send message: SetDriverDramAddrHigh (14)  param: 0x00000080 response 0xffffffc2

I'm browsing Amazon for some Nvidia deal right now, hopefully I'll be able to dump this pos 5700XT to some of my Windows friends...
Shmerl Nov 29, 2019
That bug is easy to avoid - don't use sensors in parallel. I've been waiting for AMD to fix that though. It got better - no more hangs, but this message was still spamming dmesg.

And don't be dramatic about it. Nvidia is from far from perfect either. You simply exchange it to different type of issues.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 November 2019 at 5:13 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.