[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «12/21»
  Go to:
Scoopta Jan 12, 2020
Quoting: TuxeeWith lm-sensors I got flooded with AMDGPU: [poweplay] ... messages. Right now I think I'm gonna leave it there and once 5.5 is out I'll switch to the in-development 20.04 Ubuntu and see how that works out.
Alright, hopefully things smooth out. I hate to see people having bad experiences with FOSS and that's ultimately the biggest difference between nvidia and AMD.
tuubi Jan 12, 2020
Quoting: TuxeeOTOH: Ubuntu has a graphics drivers PPA which provide the most recent NVidia drivers pretty much immediately after release:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa?field.series_filter=bionic

Now that's something I consider simple...
For me it was as simple as switching to Kisak's Mesa PPA (was using Padoka's PPA with my previous Polaris card), and everything just worked. I'm sorry you've had a difficult time, but you shouldn't assume everyone else will.

BTW: Having lm-sensors installed or running sensors in the terminal does not cause powerplay errors for me on Mint 19 / Linux 5.4.10 / Mesa 19.3.2. I thought the problem was with some desktop hardware monitor applications?
Tuxee Jan 12, 2020
Hm. I could give the Kisak PPA a try with my 19.10 on the secondary drive... lm-sensors on my 18.04 doesn't do any harm either. Maybe it wasn't lm-sensors at all but some completely different. That's what I meant above with the "instabilty".
Plintslîcho Jan 18, 2020
For those owning a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 card, does it have zero fan function?
If so, does it work out of the box with the amdgpu driver?

Prices for the RX 5700 are dropping at the moment, which makes it tempting to get one.
Pangaea Jan 18, 2020
Quoting: PlintslîchoPrices for the RX 5700 are dropping at the moment, which makes it tempting to get one.

Cheers for that info. Had my eyes on the Nitro card, and it hasn't decreased in price (probably a little up tbh), but I see the 'normal' Sapphire XT is down a little bit.

Still concerned about the driver issues, though, since I'm not on a bleeding edge stuff. From what I can tell (I'm on Mint 19.2 still), I don't have access to 5.5 yet (nor 5.4), so would have to rely on the 5.3 kernel.

Keep hoping for an actual sale, but doesn't look like any stores here are interested in that. :(

As an aside, when are the new Nvidia cards out? Maybe that will push the AMD price down a bit more?
sub Jan 18, 2020
My experience so far with the 5700 XT.

Not a single problem on stock Arch and Windows 10.
Performance is stellar (okay, I'm coming from a HD 7950).
I can drive anything in 1440p with maximum details so far and still have high stable framerates.

Using still my 11 years old be-quite 550 W power supply (paired with a Ryzen 7 3700X).
Plintslîcho Jan 18, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaCheers for that info. Had my eyes on the Nitro card, and it hasn't decreased in price (probably a little up tbh), but I see the 'normal' Sapphire XT is down a little bit.

[...]

As an aside, when are the new Nvidia cards out? Maybe that will push the AMD price down a bit more?

Yeah, the prices haven't come down by a wide margin. The cards still cost more than 300 EUR/USD where I live. But the aforementioned Sapphire card has come down by 10 to 20 EUR and the MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH GP OC currently costs only a little more than 300 EUR, which is why I'm looking a little closer now at these cards again.

Unfortunately, my preferred model, the PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Dragon, has become more expensive at the same time.

Don't know what's up next at camp nVidia. But apparently nVidia has dropped the price for their RTX 2060 card to bring it closer to AMD's new 5600 cards and maybe that will have an effect on the current AMD lineup as well.

Quoting: sub[...] Using still my 11 years old be-quite 550 W power supply (paired with a Ryzen 7 3700X).

Thanks for the info, that's good to read. It's exactly the same setup that I'm currently running.

Anyway, I'm not really in need of a new GPU and frankly, getting one would only mean burning money. My RX 570 still gets all the things done that I throw at it (at high or ultra settings at full HD). But as I said, the RX 5700 is tempting at the current price level.
tuubi Jan 18, 2020
Quoting: PlintslîchoFor those owning a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 card, does it have zero fan function?
Yes, and it does work out of the box. My GPU fans are not spinning right now. I've got the XT, but I think it works the same on the non-XT.
Plintslîcho Jan 18, 2020
Thanks tuubi.
Shmerl Jan 18, 2020
Quoting: PlintslîchoFor those owning a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5700 card, does it have zero fan function?

Prices for the RX 5700 are dropping at the moment, which makes it tempting to get one.

Yes, it does. It often stops fans for me under low load. GPU temperature at that point can be around 50°C. When it goes above, fans turn back on.

You can also define your own fan curves with radeon-profile if you want.

Last edited by Shmerl on 18 January 2020 at 11:46 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.