You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Elementary, My Dear Holmes
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
DennisVSG Aug 21, 2013
Hello there =)

My name is Dennis and I'm currently working for Victory Square Games in Vancouver, Canada. We are currently in development of "Elementary, My Dear Holmes". Which will be a 2D point and click adventure game that will be released on Linux. We are currently working on our kickstarter to collect money to make this dream into a possibillity, please check it out and tell us what you think.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375982935/elementary-my-dear-holmes

View video on youtube.com
n30p1r4t3 Aug 22, 2013
Personally not my kinda game but you guys are hilarious. I wish your campaign luck! I'm a backer ^_^
muntdefems Aug 22, 2013
Hi Dennis! Coincidentally I've just written about your game in the upcoming (as soon as another editor reviews it) weekly crowdfunding column, and it's been included in the Top-10 Hidden Gems of the week list. Pity about the 150% stretch goal for Linux support, otherwise Elementary, My Dear Holmes would've occupied a higher position for sure.

Anyway, good luck with the campaign although it looks like you won't be needing it! :P
Speedster Aug 22, 2013
Quoting: DennisVSGMy name is Dennis and I'm currently working for Victory Square Games in Vancouver, Canada. We are currently in development of "Elementary, My Dear Holmes". Which will be a 2D point and click adventure game that will be released on Linux.
When you say "will be released on Linux" does that mean it definitely will be, even if the funding is between the base goal and the $75k stretch goal? I'm a long-time adventure game fan who only plays Linux games nowadays, but I'm not the sort to get offended if I have to wait extra months for the Linux port.
DennisVSG Aug 22, 2013
muntdefems
QuoteHi Dennis! Coincidentally I've just written about your game in the upcoming (as soon as another editor reviews it) weekly crowdfunding column, and it's been included in the Top-10 Hidden Gems of the week list. Pity about the 150% stretch goal for Linux support, otherwise Elementary, My Dear Holmes would've occupied a higher position for sure.

Anyway, good luck with the campaign although it looks like you won't be needing it! :P

Hi muntdefems!
This is Sam - the guy behind the project - from Dennis' account. Thanks for writing about us in the crowdfunding column! I can't wait till it goes live! :)
As you can imagine, I've been talking to a lot of people in the last week, and one question that keeps popping in is why not linux at the base funding? Why Linux as a stretch goal? To be very honest with you, the answer is risk mitigation. I have been a PC gamer all my life and don't really know a lot about the Linux gaming scene. If someone like you (or any other forum member) would be willing to talk to me about the Linux gaming scene and tell me a bit about the approximate numbers we are looking at, I would love to be able to consider moving Linux to the base funding goal in a project update. :-)
Also, we're at a point where the mid-campaign slump will kick in, so I'm not counting on luck alone to push us through. Keeping our fingers crossed on our lovely backers sharing the project.
Cheers,
Sam
DennisVSG Aug 22, 2013
Quoting: Speedster
Quoting: Quote from DennisVSGMy name is Dennis and I'm currently working for Victory Square Games in Vancouver, Canada. We are currently in development of "Elementary, My Dear Holmes". Which will be a 2D point and click adventure game that will be released on Linux.
When you say "will be released on Linux" does that mean it definitely will be, even if the funding is between the base goal and the $75k stretch goal? I'm a long-time adventure game fan who only plays Linux games nowadays, but I'm not the sort to get offended if I have to wait extra months for the Linux port.

Hi Speedster!

Sam (Project Creator) from Dennis' account again. (Seems like I love to take over my staff's account!)

As someone who conceived and has nurtured the idea for a long time, I naturally want to see this out on as many platforms as possible to get a bigger audience. But as I wrote to muntdefems above, I would really like to have a better understanding of the Linux gaming scene to see if it would be possible for us to shift company resources to do a Linux version even at our base funding goal.

Looking forward to learning more soon!

Sam
Speedster Aug 22, 2013
Using a suitable cross-platform engine and tools can make all the difference in being able to offer a Linux version without blowing up your budget, and in particular I've heard good things about Unity 4 lately. The Spaceventure team recently released an alpha demo using Unity 4, and we Linux testers couldn't find any platform-specific bugs (there was a known "feature" where you need to supply screen res from command-line instead of a gui, but as long as it's documented who cares). The devs' feedback was that they had achieved this happy result merely by flipping the switch to  generate a Linux build.

http://www.spacequest.net/index.php/topic/639-demo-issues-bugs-and-what-not/page__st__60__p__7972#entry7972
DennisVSG Aug 23, 2013
Thanks for the input Speedster! It will really help us in the long run when we look at porting over to Linux (Or however we do it).

Just to let you guys know, we're going to have an interesting announcement on Monday, so keep your eyes and ears tuned!

Any other suggestions for porting to Linux? Trust me, we're all ears.
DennisVSG Aug 26, 2013
We at Victory Square Games are very excited to announce that we have just reached our base $50,000 Kickstarter funding goal on our point-and-click title, Elementary, My Dear Holmes!

New Video and Concept Art!

To celebrate, we've released a new video update, as well as a bunch of concept art to share with our backers and the community. The concept art and the video is live on the main Kickstarter page at [http://kck.st/19tFgrV](http://kck.st/19tFgrV). The video is also available at http://youtu.be/bOff7gh6Y40

A Linux Version!

In addition, we're proud to announce that the Linux version has been moved from a $75,000 stretch goal to a $50,000 base goal. Which means that the Linux version will be shipping in September 2014!

Free Game Consoles!

And that's not all. Victory Square Games is also hosting a Console Giveaway! Anyone who donated $15 or more to the campaign is now in the running to win one of four consoles - an Ouya, a Wii U, a PS4 and an Xbox 1. Also, anyone who donates between now and September 05 is also eligible to win.

It's a really exciting time for us at Victory Square Games, and we are proud and happy to share our little success story. Please feel free to write back if you would like any further information on any of the updates.

Best,
Sam
muntdefems Aug 26, 2013
Hi Sam, that's excellent news indeed!

I'll go edit our wiki to reflect the Linux support stretch goal removal. Also, we'll mention for sure the successful funding and the confirmation of a Linux version in our impending new crowdfunding wiki column. :)
DennisVSG Aug 26, 2013
Thanks a ton muntdefems! We'll keep watching the thread for when the crowdfunding wiki is up. Hopefully we can help contribute. 
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.