You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
GNOME systray -- I need your support
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
wvstolzing Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: CreakWhenever I click on the Nextcloud icon, nothing happens since it is already considered running. And the list goes on...

Mostly, I would say that the intent is good, but the realization is simply not here (mostly for anything not GNOME).

Somewhat off-topic, but it would be good if Nextcloud also had a web interface, as in syncthing. Syncthing has no gtk client in Fedora (so nothing to put an icon in the systray), so it has to be managed over the web interface -- which is actually nicer to use than the gtk application.
Creak Dec 9, 2019
For the Fedora users in this thread, which DE do you use?
wvstolzing Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: CreakFor the Fedora users in this thread, which DE do you use?

I use XFCE on Fedora (also regularly on Debian).

The default install isn't quite as polished as Xubuntu in either of them, but very little has to be tweaked to make it just as sleek. I also use the very long-in-the-tooth (but extremely lightweight) Skippy-XD (https://github.com/richardgv/skippy-xd) for 'exposé'/Activities functionality, which is sometimes faster to consult than the openbox-style middle-click list of windows on a workplace, which XFCE also provides.

(XFCE's own xfdashboard is supposed to provide the same functioality natively, and it comes bundled with every distro nowadays, but honestly it's hideous to looks at -- so it's easier to use skippy-xd, than trying to fix xfdashboard's appearance.)
jens Dec 9, 2019
  • Supporter

The default Gnome Desktop. It works pretty well for me.
Mnoleg Dec 9, 2019
I've been using XFCE for years, but I changed to MATE-Compiz a few months ago. Both of them feature a lightweight and highly configurable classic desktop with plenty of features, including vertical panels, I love vertical panels!
GustyGhost Dec 10, 2019
Quoting: EhvisBut Gnome didn't solve anything. They just created a new one while taking away choice with it. But that seems to be the way Gnome is intended to go, taking away as much choice for the user as possible.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Last edited by GustyGhost on 10 December 2019 at 2:14 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.