Steam or GoG
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
t3g Apr 13, 2020
These days, if I can buy a game on GOG and Steam, I shop at GOG.

Last edited by t3g on 13 April 2020 at 11:04 pm UTC
robvv Apr 14, 2020
Steam usually - since Valve actively support Linux - and for its convenience, plus the workshop support and forums are very useful. I also purchase games on GOG and Itch when the price is right.

I buy Steam keys from the likes of GMG, Humble, Fanatical and others when the keys are on sale. Normally I don't buy direct from the publishers simply because of the silly price.
Sojiro84 Apr 14, 2020
Steam. I like to have all my games on one platform as much as possible. I hate having my games being fragmented over different platforms.
Pangaea Apr 16, 2020
It means their strategy of tying people down with the bloatw, sorry, game launcher is working, and that it's also efficient to hook people on achievements. Sad state of affairs, but this is nothing new. Just ask Pavlov (he may not answer much these days, admittedly).

I can kind of understand it, as it's a bit of the same with me on GOG. It's a good platform and it's easy to keep a local library by using lgogdownloader. Don't give a rat's ass about their version of bloatware, but some people do (and ofc GOG "need" achievements too). I prefer to buy games directly from developers, though, as long as they are DRM Free. It's win-win. I get the same product that I want, and the developer get 100% of the money. Better for all concerned. Admittedly this is not often an option, but it's nice when I can do it.
Pangaea Apr 16, 2020
Quoting: GuestThis is genuine curiosity, because I actually feel safer when fragmenting my purchases around as much stores as possible. As a developer, I try to avoid single points of failure as much as possible, so I guess it plays a part in driving my buying habits.

Nice. This sounds somewhat similar to the Bus factor.
Sojiro84 Apr 16, 2020
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Sojiro84I like to have all my games on one platform as much as possible.

This is something I often see, and have difficulties to understand. Of course it is much more convenient, but I often get the feeling that for a lot of people it is more than that.

So if you could develop this idea a bit, it would be nice

This is genuine curiosity, because I actually feel safer when fragmenting my purchases around as much stores as possible. As a developer, I try to avoid single points of failure as much as possible, so I guess it plays a part in driving my buying habits.

Well, for me it's just that Steam was the first. I am on Steam since the very beginning (although my first account got banned when I tried a already used Counter-Strike: Source BETA key :() and have hundreds of games there.

So I only have games on other platforms if I really wanted that game and there really was no Steam alternative. Steam by now is a full featured client and all the other clients are lacking in many aspects. The only reason I might fully switch to another client is if I can import all my Steam games to another platform.

That won't ever happen off course.

And by now, I am on Linux since Proton released. Valve is doing great work here and I want to reward that and it's just easy to play Windows games on Linux with Steam (or Lutris).

I never really thought about Steam dieing. It is possible, but if it happens it happens. It sucks but since I rarely, if ever, replay games, it's not a big loss. There are worse things in the world.

Last edited by Sojiro84 on 17 April 2020 at 6:28 am UTC
Pangaea Apr 16, 2020
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: PangaeaI can kind of understand it, as it's a bit of the same with me on GOG. It's a good platform and it's easy to keep a local library by using lgogdownloader.

I used to think I liked GOG too
Same here then. I used to like them, nay, love them. Since then they have done a lot of moves and retractions of once dearly held principles, so there isn't all that much left. If DRM Free falls, there is no reason to shop there any more. Unfortunately that also means there won't be any other shops either, unless itch.io somehow start selling more than shovelware. Like with Humble Bundle, I miss the old GOG, the version that was good.
Mezron Apr 27, 2020
GOG first and always. I recently got into Steam as of last Nov but I only own 3 games on there that are not available on GOG. Fantasy Strike, Dual Souls and SF30th.

Don't think I will be buying anymore games from Steam. I usually hit GOG, itch.io and then Humble Bundle for the DRM-FREE games.
Loun Apr 27, 2020
Both for me, but I usually buy a game on Steam, because of the great Linux support, Steam Proton, the Workshop, etc...

It's very rare for me to buy a game on GOG. I like DRM-Free games, but GOG is just not efficient to use on Linux in my opinion, especially if you compare it to Steam.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.