Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
AMD Build Issues or Thoughts?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
HendrinMckay Feb 3, 2020
I am currently on an i5-2500K with a GTX 970 and looking to upgrade/replace. I have been using Manjaro Linux pretty much exclusively as of late playing native games, wine+dxvk, and Proton through Steam.

Talking with some friends they all seem to recommend Intel i9 series and Nvidia 20xx series but of course most of those friends are on Windows or dual boot.

I will likely be do some rendering with Blender, game dev with Godot, compiling with Rust, and of course gaming.

Right now I am considering going with a 3700x and a 5700XT but I am wondering what kind of issues I will run into with this setup on Linux currently if any? Want to be able to use open source drivers going forward.

Anyone have any experience running open source drivers with the 5700xt and/or have issues with temperature? That is my biggest concern.
ageres Feb 3, 2020
I'm not sure about graphics cards, but I'm very happy with my Ryzen 3700X. Its 16 threads can compile, convert and process anything in mere seconds, expecially in comparison to my old AMD FX-8350. The gaming performance is great too. Just be sure you're buying a motherboard which supports Ryzen 3xxx CPUs without the need to update BIOS, otherwise you'll have to find an older Ryzen CPUs as well to use it for update BIOS for the new one.
Shmerl Feb 3, 2020
I'm using Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT - no issues with temperature.

Last edited by Shmerl on 3 February 2020 at 6:00 am UTC
stud68 Feb 3, 2020
I have that combo of 3700x and 5700xt.
99% of the issues have been sorted since release. Will run out the box now with most distros.
As for temps no issues but I have water cooled both since day one so have no comparison with air.
buono Feb 3, 2020
I also have the sapphire pulse rx5700 (non xt) which is a great card however the openCL for this card is in poor shape using the opensource drivers. I am not sure how that might impact on your Blender work. But for gaming it's great. Temps are no problem at all.
HendrinMckay Feb 3, 2020
Thanks folks! Hmm, will take that into consideration but likely going to go ahead with this combo even if OpenCL support isn't there yet. Any suggestions on motherboards (keeping in mind I won't be able to flash it ahead of time for support for the 3000 ryzen's)?
Shmerl Feb 4, 2020
Asrock X570 Taichi.
HendrinMckay Feb 4, 2020
Will check it out. Thanks! :)
tuubi Feb 5, 2020
I went for a cheaper ASUS X470 Prime. I bought it a few months ago, and it had a sticker advertising "Ryzen 3000 series support" on the box.
TobyGornow Feb 5, 2020
I bought an Aorus X570 Elite. No problem so far. Worked like a charm.
HendrinMckay Feb 6, 2020
Hmm, probably going to go with a X570 board rather than X470 but thanks for the suggestion. Can't find many places stocking the Taichi around here, but considering a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro. Glad to hear the elite works well!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.