Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
AMD Build Issues or Thoughts?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
HendrinMckay Feb 17, 2020
Thanks for the help folks!

Ended up with the following:
3900X
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
Deepcool Castle 360EX
32GB DDR-3600 Ram
Gigabyte 5700XT
1TB Samsung EVO SSD
Phantek P600S case
Seasonic Prime 750W Power Supply

Unfortunately, couldn't find the ASRock Taichi here without a huge markup (over $500 CAD here the few sites I've seen it listed) so ended up with the Gigabyte board which so far seems quite nice build and support wise. Only issue really is can't control the RGB's on the board as far as I can see.

Thanks for the help folks! Everything seems to be running fairly well on Manjaro currently. Using 5.5 kernel. I do notice certain proton games end up being laggy for a bit at the start but smooth out. I assume that is likely due to the shaders being compiled the first time?

Honestly, quite impressed so far with how much just seems to work out of the box. Only issue I really have is processor seems to jump temp wise quite often by up to 10 degrees when just browser causing the fans to kick in at quite a high RPM but resolved this with a custom fan profile.

Is there anything like fast sync(Nvidia) or enhanced sync(AMD) like on Windows. Where it basically tries to reduce/eliminate screen tearing without GSYNC/FreeSync?
Shmerl Feb 17, 2020
For 3900X such temperature jumps are normal. Make sure you have a decent cooler in general and case is well ventilated.

Last edited by Shmerl on 17 February 2020 at 12:30 am UTC
Cybolic Oct 7, 2020
Quoting: HendrinMckayThanks for the help folks!

Ended up with the following:
3900X
Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570
Deepcool Castle 360EX
32GB DDR-3600 Ram
Gigabyte 5700XT
1TB Samsung EVO SSD
Phantek P600S case
Seasonic Prime 750W Power Supply
[...]
I'm looking to building a setup using the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master; how's the Linux support for the Elite been for you? Temp-measurements working? Motherboard RGB adjustable in OpenRGB? Have you hit any issues in general?
Vasya Sovari Oct 8, 2020
Quoting: HendrinMckayRight now I am considering going with a 3700x and a 5700XT but I am wondering what kind of issues I will run into with this setup on Linux currently if any? Want to be able to use open source drivers going forward.

Anyone have any experience running open source drivers with the 5700xt and/or have issues with temperature? That is my biggest concern.

I run a 3600 & 5700XT (Powercolour Red Devil) with ROG STRIX B550-F on Arch, used to use Manjaro, and have had no major issues at all. I'm extremely happy with the setup and would strongly recommend it.

Last edited by Vasya Sovari on 8 October 2020 at 12:35 pm UTC
TobyGornow Oct 8, 2020
Quoting: CybolicI'm looking to building a setup using the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master; how's the Linux support for the Elite been for you? Temp-measurements working? Motherboard RGB adjustable in OpenRGB? Have you hit any issues in general?

I'm an Aorus X570 Elite user and so far everything is fine and working as intended. No RAM problem, no boot issue on Manjaro or Mint.
Sensors is reporting the cpu temperatures just fine.
And for OpenRGB, the Elite seems not to be concerned since the only light on this board is really discreet, it's just a line over the I/O shield and I don't know if it's adressable at all. The Aorus Master seems to be supported though.

Cheers
Cybolic Oct 8, 2020
Quoting: TobyGornow
Quoting: Cybolic[...] Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master [...]
I'm an Aorus X570 Elite user and so far everything is fine and working as intended. No RAM problem, no boot issue on Manjaro or Mint.
Sensors is reporting the cpu temperatures just fine.
And for OpenRGB, the Elite seems not to be concerned since the only light on this board is really discreet, it's just a line over the I/O shield and I don't know if it's adressable at all. The Aorus Master seems to be supported though.

Cheers

That sounds promising :) I saw that Aorus RGB was supported by OpenRGB but with a "(USB)" next to it, hence the curiosity about the MB LEDs. As you say, it's fairly minimal, so it's definitely not a deal-breaker for me if it's not addressable.

To anyone else stuck between Gigabyte and ASUS, I'll just mention that the reason I'm leaning towards Gigabyte is the over-the-top 14 phase VRM VCore/SoC power design; as Linus Torvalds said when he explained why he went with the Gigabyte Aorus TRX40 Master:
Quoting: Linus TorvaldsIn the builds I do, I really want the basics to be solid, and there's little more basic than power delivery. Long long ago I had a couple of systems that were unreliable due to power brown-out, and I've gotten religious about this now. So I look for something that is good for overclocking, and then I do _not_ overclock things.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.