You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Bioshock Orginal Steam
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
I couldn't get the original Bioshock to run smoothly. It will freeze doing the game.

https://peertube.dk/videos/watch/ce53e5d9-6e30-446f-9600-5d845004fcfe

Last edited by kibasnowpaw on 24 March 2020 at 2:37 pm UTC
Ehvis Feb 25, 2020
Don't know about the original, but I played through the remaster without any problems after turning off esync and the intro videos (as suggested by protondb at the time).
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: EhvisDon't know about the original, but I played through the remaster without any problems after turning off esync and the intro videos (as suggested by protondb at the time).

The remastered keeps freezing for about 30-60 sec every time i tried to hack stuff. At least it doesn't crash i can use the vending machine in the remastered with no problem. i also get lag spiks for 1 ms random times, but i get that in a lot of games that are not made for Linux.
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
i think i got it fix with this launch options RADV_PERFTEST=aco PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command% -nointro -ReadTexturePoolFromIni it also fix the freezing when trying to hack something. THX
Xpander Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: kibasnowpawi think i got it fix with this launch options RADV_PERFTEST=aco PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command% -nointro -ReadTexturePoolFromIni it also fix the freezing when trying to hack something. THX

RADV_PERFTEST wont do anything for you on nvidia. But yeah ESYNC F's up this game for some weird reason, textures dont load correct and so on

Last edited by Xpander on 25 February 2020 at 2:11 pm UTC
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: Xpander
Quoting: kibasnowpawi think i got it fix with this launch options RADV_PERFTEST=aco PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command% -nointro -ReadTexturePoolFromIni it also fix the freezing when trying to hack something. THX

RADV_PERFTEST wont do anything for you on nvidia. But yeah ESYNC F's up this game for some weird reason, textures dont load correct and so on
okay i dont even know what RADV_PERFTEST does. just took the first LO i find and it work well. https://youtu.be/cP11ZwJxlCk
Xpander Feb 25, 2020
Quoting: kibasnowpawokay i dont even know what RADV_PERFTEST does. just took the first LO i find and it work well. https://youtu.be/cP11ZwJxlCk

Friendly tip. If you record/stream next time, try to use OBS window capture. Capturing only the game window will make the video framerate much better, specially when game Utlizes your GPU more than 90%. Recording whole desktop can lead to stuttery video output.
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
I play on 1 PC's and capture on another. That's why it's like it is. i don't live stream on the same pc to not make the GPU Rendering 2 things at the same time and get FPS drops because of it.

Last edited by kibasnowpaw on 25 February 2020 at 5:41 pm UTC
Xpander Feb 25, 2020
ohh ok, was looking your video and it felt a bit inconsistent in framerates.
i capture with nvenc and window capture and most games i loose just 3-5% perf, rare cases where game uses 100% GPU then there can be around 10% perf loss, but the output video is always smooth
kibasnowpaw Feb 25, 2020
i use a PCI-e capture card, so there is about 5 ms delay and also its only running 30 FPS so if the games running 300 FPS you get screen tearing which you will see in the video i could turn on Vsync that will lock the FPS at 60 FPS and set the stream at 60 FPS that should fix that. Also, I'm streaming in 4K which take a lot of the GPU and about 50MB's of the internet there a lot that can make it feel not as smooth, but i think in this case its the FPS since its is a console game and its made to run at 30/60 FPS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.