You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Planning to get an AMD GPU - Is my system ready for it?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 Mar 19, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: Avehicle7887If you wish I can still try to provide a Basemark/Unigine benchmark. The tests would be based on Mesa 20.0.1 + Kernel 5.5.10 :)

yes please I would like to see the results of a UNigine Superposition Benchmark at 1080p extreme preset.

For some reason I can't get Superposition to run (complains about xcb error in terminal), ironically though the older Heaven benchmark works just fine.

Here's what I got (Ignore the GPU Section, the program doesn't detect it properly but the numbers seem to be correct compared against my RTX 2060S):

PS: Working on that Basemark bench.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 19 March 2020 at 10:53 pm UTC
Koopacabras Mar 20, 2020
thanks! 👍🏻
Avehicle7887 Mar 25, 2020
I moved the GPU to my old gaming rig which runs an i5-4590, since this is slightly faster than the G4560 it was being tested on. I've also decided to run some 3840x1080 tests which you'll find below.

Personal Thoughts (Mini Review):

So after almost 2 weeks with this card, I can say I'm very happy for the price I paid (more on this later). The performance is more or less equal to the older AMD RX 580 and Nvidia GTX 1060, which is what I expected from the start. As far as stability goes, I haven't had any issues (Latest Linux firmware, libdrm 2.4.100, Kernel 5.5.x, Mesa 20.0.x, LLVM 9/10, ACO enabled).

To put this card's performance in perspective with modern competition, it sits right behind the slightly more expensive Nvidia GTX 1660 Super model. Going back to the price, I paid 240 euro to import this from the U.S (Amazon), as it's not available locally - Malta.

If you're looking for a solid 1080p card with Open Source support this is a fine choice, furthermore if you find an RX 580 for a cheaper price and don't care about power consumption, that's an even better choice as performance is roughly the same between the two.

Ok off to the screenshots:

Witcher 3

Shadow Warrior 2

Wolfenstein - The New Order (OpenGL)

Testbench

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 25 March 2020 at 11:56 pm UTC
Shmerl Mar 25, 2020
Hm, familiar area. Is it Rannvaig?
Koopacabras Apr 7, 2020
QuoteSo after almost 2 weeks with this card, I can say I'm very happy for the price I paid (more on this later). The performance is more or less equal to the older AMD RX 580 and Nvidia GTX 1060,

from the phoronix benchmarks I looked ... it seems that is has the performance of the rx 590. I don't know I have a rx 570 Nitro +, maybe the fastest rx 570, for me, it would be about 30% or 20% of improvement over my 570 but still I don't know if it is worth it. with this whole pandemia thing I got short on cash, I was aiming at a 5600 xt at least, but we are having some inflation over imported goods, so I don't know if in a couple of months I would be able to afford it. The other alternative is buy a second hand vega 56, I know it's a powerhouse, but it has roughly the same performance of 5600 xt (maybe a tad slower).

Last edited by Koopacabras on 7 April 2020 at 4:13 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.