Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
How to stream from one OBS 'main' PC, to another PC running OBS on LAN?
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Mar 12, 2020
How to stream from OBS on one pc, as an input source for OBS on another pc on the lan which is doing the actual streaming to remote streaming service?

I'd like to use my 'main' pc as an a/v source for the latter one which is streaming 24/7, if and when i'd like to stream some gameplay or other stuff, overlayed the usual 24/7 stream.

Preferably without the need for much (hopefully none) additional expensive (de/re/en)coding on the latter (semi-potato) pc that's doing the (re-)streaming to outside of the LAN.

I've seen youtube videos attempting to show me & my brain how, but unfortunately it was of the short no-voice-only-dubstep variety ,and also utilizing nginx which i'm a bit doubtful would be required in a one-user-two-pc LAN scenario.

Anyone able to give a rundown of how it's achieved?

(maybe my question belongs in Tech Help, idk :/ Please move it if that is so.)

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 12 March 2020 at 6:49 pm UTC
Corben Mar 13, 2020
Did you see the NDI Plugin for OBS.
Sounds like with this you can achieve exactly what you describe.
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Mar 13, 2020
Quoting: CorbenDid you see the NDI Plugin for OBS.
Sounds like with this you can achieve exactly what you describe.

I'll check that out. Seems easier than trying to fart around with ffmpeg commands. Thanks! :D

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 13 March 2020 at 2:55 pm UTC
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Mar 14, 2020
Hit a bit of a snag with ndi at the start, by ndi source(s) not showing up on the streaming pc. But got it working correctly eventually.

Seemingly, it was not enough to just install the obs-ndi-bin package. Might be something temporarily broken/missing dependency or what with it, that'll be fixed momentarily, but i also had to install libndi3-bin manually before it would work.

NOTE: I also installed avahi, though that was likely entirely unnecessary due to systemd-resolvd already being in place, not sure. Can very likely be skipped alltogether.

So this got me going:
$ yay -S obs-ndi-bin libndi3-bin --sudoloop    #Yay is awesome though any AUR helper will do.

# check whether or not it is working fine _before_ taking the next, perhaps unnecessary, steps:

$ yay -S avahi --sudoloop
$ sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service
$ sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved.service
$ sudo systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service
$ sudo systemctl start avahi-daemon.service

And it was ready to rock :)

#IUseArchBTW :P

EDIT: I later found out there's already an article on GOL about NDI
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/obs-ndi-plugin-for-linux-send-video-from-one-linux-pc-to-another.11084/

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 14 March 2020 at 4:22 pm UTC
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Mar 14, 2020
It appears that NDI might be extremely reliant on VERY high speed and VERY stable connections .. Even on 'low bandwith' setting , trough a power-plug lan , NDI will apparently regularly choke and stammer quite nastily at times. Even with no other network activity between the two pc's. (apart from a phone idling on the wifi, those are it, in my situation)

I'm guessing i'm heading back to looking at ffmpeg, vlc, nginx etc. etc.

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 14 March 2020 at 4:40 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.