You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[FIXED] RSS feed almost never updates
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
minj Sep 29, 2013
I'm using RSS Live links with chrome and got surprised by it today as it updated GOL after what seemed like eternity (around 2 weeks)

E. g. Cheapskate's corner is still the newest entry there even though there are 3 more now. 

Before you ask, yes, I tried to force it to update by pressing 'Reload'

You can see it for yourself by going to http://gamingonlinux.com/article_rss.php manually.

This is useless
Speedster Sep 29, 2013
Sounds like you're running into a caching problem, because the RSS feed works for me & so does that link (showing Dead Linger at the top which is latest while I'm writing this). I'm running firefox, so maybe somebody else running Chrome can try to reproduce the problem.
minj Sep 29, 2013
you are right

ctrl+f5 solved it

seems the site uses some aggressive caching:
Cache-Control: max-age=864000
Expires: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 21:22:19 GMT

this surely needs to be fixed, no point in caching rss for 10 days, is there?

Speedster Sep 30, 2013
10 days would be too long for RSS on an active site like this. How about posting a feature request to tweak the setting over in the suggestion area
http://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/2/
Liam Dawe Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for letting me know, I have added a no-cache header to the rss feed that should fix it, it seems every single RSS grabbing client handles things a little differently.

Will mark it as fixed when you let me know how it handles itself now.
minj Sep 30, 2013
Got an update:

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate Released For Linux

by liamdawe 1 minute ago

so yeah, you've fixed it, thanks
Liam Dawe Sep 30, 2013
Will have to find another way, this breaks our twitter importer.
Liam Dawe Sep 30, 2013
Okay testing a new way, keeping it so there is no cache so all clients should grab all new items as soon as a feed is checked.

Switched our twitterfeed to use feedburners grabbing of our RSS, hopefully this will work for both you and our twitterfeed thing.
minj Oct 2, 2013
Arma Tactics is the last entry...
Liam Dawe Oct 3, 2013
Okay so removing cache altogether didn't work I will set it manually.

I have set the RSS feed to have a max-age of an hour, let me know how that fares.
muntdefems Oct 4, 2013
I've just discovered this forum thread, but I must say the RSS is working fine now. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.