Fedora 32 - Chiaki with VAAPI packages
slavezeo May 7, 2020
I've not seen a lot of Fedora users around here but for those who are I've made a rpm package of Chiaki, the open source client for Playstation 4 remote play, which supports VAAPI hardware decoding. The AppImage from their GitHub releases page does not support VAAPI. I was interested in trying the hardware decoding so I compiled up my own rpm package. The RPMs are built from the git master branch.

Chiaki Master for Fedora 32 04.27.2020 Download from my Google Drive.

It's never good practice to install random packages you find laying around the internet. Even though there is nothing fishy going on with this particular rpm (that I know of) I do recommend opening any rpm you download from an untrusted source in an archive manager and poke around it's directory structure to see if anything looks sketchy. It's just a habit I've settled into.

Last edited by slavezeo on 7 May 2020 at 3:48 pm UTC
Dennis_Payne May 7, 2020
How much of a difference does it make?
slavezeo May 7, 2020
Quoting: dulsiHow much of a difference does it make?

Honestly on my system none that I can see. I was hot and heavy to make VA-API work and this rpm is the result :) To me it is kind of handy to have it installable and removable via dnf/rpm. But to answer your question I can't really tell a difference.
drlamb May 7, 2020
QuoteIt's never good practice to install random packages you find laying around the internet. Even though there is nothing fishy going on with this particular rpm (that I know of) I do recommend opening any rpm you download from an untrusted source in an archive manager and poke around it's directory structure to see if anything looks sketchy. It's just a habit I've settled into.

Just a tip. I imagine more people would feel comfortable installing the RPM from Copr rather than Google Drive.

You could then update the build and have it built/deployed without having to notify users or upload anything to Google Drive as it would act like a normal DNF repo for consumers once set-up. Hell, if you'd be willing to maintain it you could always try and get it into the official repos or at least rpmfusion.
slavezeo May 7, 2020
QuoteJust a tip. I imagine more people would feel comfortable installing the RPM from Copr rather than Google Drive.

You could then update the build and have it built/deployed without having to notify users or upload anything to Google Drive as it would act like a normal DNF repo for consumers once set-up. Hell, if you'd be willing to maintain it you could always try and get it into the official repos or at least rpmfusion.

I totally agree. That's why I mentioned it's not a good idea to install random packages off the internet. But since you brought it up (and it being a good idea) I'll log into my Copr account and see about setting up a build for Chiaki.

I've not done much with Copr recently out of pure laziness.
slavezeo May 9, 2020
I got the COPR repo set up manually by uploading the srpm. I'm having trouble setting up an automatic build environment to pull from git and compile the rpm. There is surprisingly little documentation or how-to's on the subject. I also wasn't able to find and IRC channel or Discord server for help. I'm still working on it though.

I got it figured out mostly. It should pull and rebuild whenever there is a commit to the git repository.

The COPR repo can be found at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jdwininger/Chiaki/

If anyone tries installing from COPR let me know how it goes.

Last edited by slavezeo on 9 May 2020 at 5:08 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.