Having an issue with proton.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Salvatos May 11, 2020
I don’t remember Steam having an option to launch every native game through Proton by default. It only does so for titles that you set up for it specifically, and non-native titles if you select "Enable Steam Play for all other titles". So my guess would be that your graphical issues have nothing to do with Proton nor perhaps even Steam, and I would look into graphics drivers first.
blackbear_ May 11, 2020
Quoting: SalvatosI don’t remember Steam having an option to launch every native game through Proton by default. It only does so for titles that you set up for it specifically, and non-native titles if you select "Enable Steam Play for all other titles". So my guess would be that your graphical issues have nothing to do with Proton nor perhaps even Steam, and I would look into graphics drivers first.

That's what I thought too, but at the same time it's almost exclusive to native valve games? Is that possibly still the problem?

Plus I run PopOS, so all of my drivers were supposed to be installed and updated for me; and it used to run perfectly when I was operating with windows.

Last edited by blackbear_ on 11 May 2020 at 5:05 pm UTC
Salvatos May 11, 2020
Quoting: blackbear_That's what I thought too, but at the same time it's almost exclusive to native valve games? Is that possibly still the problem?
I’m afraid I don’t know how to properly troubleshoot this either, but my instinct would be that if it’s not entirely specific to native games or games run through Steam, then the cause likely isn’t specific to those parameters either. It could be a specific setting found in multiple games, such as v-sync or shadows, or a graphics driver setting specific to your type of card (Intel/AMD/nVidia) or the driver you’re using (proprietary/open source)... Maybe an engine-specific problem shared by the games you’ve experienced the issue in.

Considering how scrambled your screenshots look, maybe it has something to do with refresh rate or v-sync? I really don’t know much about those things.

Last edited by Salvatos on 11 May 2020 at 5:24 pm UTC
damarrin May 11, 2020
You never said what your gfx add was or what driver you were using for it.
dvd May 12, 2020
Quoting: blackbear_The way I wanted to do it was: Under Steam>Settings>Steam Play> I set "Enable Steam Play for all other titles" And set the default proton to GE's 5.8,then just go through the native ones, and set it to Linux Runetime. But having the default set to GE's 5.8 and/Or having Native ones set to Runtime, doesn't allow any of the games to start. For some reason, if I do it the other way, and set specific games to run with GE's 5.8 like The Forest for example, the game refuses to start with it for some reason.

So I guess I have two questions: Is there a way to launch native games as such? Cause I think it's trying to launch them using proton because I can't think of any other reason for there to be such dramatic graphical issues. The second question is, how do I get steam to successfully open the game using GE's 5.8 proton? Thank you again for your help by the way.

[url=https://ibb.co/k4TVxYq][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/XDmcqg4][/url]

This is what I mean about graphical issues with the native games I have and it's super confusing. I haven't found anything at all in terms of a fix or even information about it.

I don't use snap/flatpack, so i cannot give any advice specific to these. Native or other games CTD to desktop most times though if you are missing a system library or you have a library version mismatch, but that is not likely if you launch a game on Steam as the "Steam runtime" containes the (someties outdates) offending versions of libraries so you dont have to install them system wise. I'd try installing Steam without using these horrible flat/snappacks though, using the native package manager, if possible, and/or try getting output from game launch on a terminal.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.