Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Star Citizen Free Flight Week
a0kami May 21, 2020
Hi !

Just saw Shmerl topic about SC upcomming Vulkan renderer, but I'm gonna tell doesn't (yet!) belong to Native Linux Gaming.

Yes, you can play for free on Star Citizen from Friday 22nd up to June 1st.

Not sure you people we aware but the game is running nice and smooth on Linux (with decent hardware ofc) through Wine+DXVK and there are nice Lutris install script provided by the community.

Why struggle to play Star Citizen ?
Well that question is up to you but there is a very nice Star Citizen Linux community united under the Linux Users Group organization.
Some members are even reporting bug directly to WineHQ hen there are regressions, test patches and provide fixed builds before official versions releases.
There's also a Discord on which we gather each Saturday for an in-game meetup and mess around. :)

Cheers,
mylka May 21, 2020
that would be the perfect reason for game streaming.... demos
Ehvis May 22, 2020
The announcement is not exactly clear on times and timezones.
a0kami May 22, 2020
Quoting: EhvisThe announcement is not exactly clear on times and timezones.

True.
Expect USA western coast time though as main offices are based there.
(Us, poor Europeans, get patches late in the night usually )

They I think a stable patch is yet to be released (3.9.1) and expect servers to be crowded and bugged af the first couple days.

Last edited by a0kami on 22 May 2020 at 2:26 pm UTC
Ehvis May 23, 2020
Lutris installer worked perfectly. After some wandering around I did manage to get to the convention centre and rent a ship and fly around. Needed some help from youtube because this game is not really helping you with anything at all.
Ehvis May 24, 2020
Game appears to be dead right now. Only getting time outs. It seems to lock up after confirming the time out. I suspect the "CIG services" went down when I was logged in earlier. Could still walk around, but anything else was problematic.

One weird thing I found though. You seem to need food and water. You can buy and food and drinks. But it just disappears. Purchase screen says it gets stored in your "global inventory", but I can't find anything anywhere.
a0kami May 24, 2020
So there's a personal inventory you can open by pressing "I". And then there's the global inventory you access through the mobiglass by pressing F2.
Food and drinks should go in the first one.
Though, you actually need an armour to build personal inventory space (meaning you need pockets, without armour you can't pick up anything).

But yeah keep in kind this is an actual open development product rather than actual game. We kept calling it a " screenshot generator " and a "menu simulator".
Also it seems the free flight week is having a huge success and the game barely playable as is.
I wouldn't recommend buying access to it just yet if not just to show support to the devs (who actually merely need it at this point).
Ehvis May 25, 2020
Quoting: aokamiSo there's a personal inventory you can open by pressing "I". And then there's the global inventory you access through the mobiglass by pressing F2.
Food and drinks should go in the first one.
Though, you actually need an armour to build personal inventory space (meaning you need pockets, without armour you can't pick up anything).

It appears that the problem was with the game (probably the network stability). Yesterday I bought one and after paying it was picked up and in my hand. That was something that didn't happen the day before. Still strange that it says "global inventory" when buying food, even though I don't see any place in the global inventory where it could be stored.

Quoting: aokamiBut yeah keep in kind this is an actual open development product rather than actual game. We kept calling it a " screenshot generator " and a "menu simulator".
Also it seems the free flight week is having a huge success and the game barely playable as is.
I wouldn't recommend buying access to it just yet if not just to show support to the devs (who actually merely need it at this point).

It's a bit too alpha though. As you said, the free week is probably straining their services, but the completely ungraceful way that it drops connection is still very much their fault. I tried 6 delivery quests (in three runs) and only managed to deliver two packages. One package simply wouldn't get accepted by the machine (partial disconnect?) and the rest got cut short by a full disconnect. When you get back into the game, everything is gone and you have to spawn back at a starting location. Not sure anybody would want to start trading under such conditions and that is entirely the devs fault for focussing on the wrong things.

I'm not against buying access, but for something this alpha it would have to have a native Linux build.
a0kami May 25, 2020
Quoting: EhvisI'm not against buying access, but for something this alpha it would have to have a native Linux build.

That's why I don't recommend buying it just yet. Some updates can completely be broken through Wine and the game wouldn't launch.
Yet, the Vulkan renderer port or CryEngine/Lumberyard is ongoing so this gives some hope.
Food and drinks and armour personal inventory space were added in this update (which was a bit rushed due to global lockdown), so yes they a few extra polish layers.
a0kami May 26, 2020
Quoting: PatolaThing is, do you really think Star Citizen will ever be "done"?
Depends what you put behind "done", right they focused 200% on getting Squadron42 out so Star Citizen is very slow but they have a lot of the procedural bricks in there so they can make next systems faster. Within a couple year we should their tool "quantum" integration, and most gameplays, should are already mostly there. Also they already started on the renderer rework and the last network brick is the server meshing.

So yeah I'm confident it will soon be released as a game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.