Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Broken heatpipe?
Guppy Jun 29, 2020
Got a used laptop it keeps getting themal throttled I suspect the heat pipe is bad ; one end is very hot the other quite cool.

Is this normal, or is it broken?

Sensors shows temps going up to 95 then falling to ~70 and raising again.
Dragunov Jun 30, 2020
Really the only way to find out is to take it apart and check everything out, maybe apply a little bit of new thermal paste.
Many laptops have poor cooling solutions from the factory though. A bad battery can cause issues as well. If everything checks out as good, then proceed with a fresh install of Linux with fresh drivers.
Guppy Jun 30, 2020
Quoting: DragunovReally the only way to find out is to take it apart and check everything out, maybe apply a little bit of new thermal paste.
Many laptops have poor cooling solutions from the factory though. A bad battery can cause issues as well. If everything checks out as good, then proceed with a fresh install of Linux with fresh drivers.

Well the battery IS bad can't charge at all, lies about current charge ( 0-5% ) - but since I'm running it on a power brick I didn't think that would cause any issues, guess I'll order a battery as well, Thanks
Ehvis Jun 30, 2020
Quoting: GuppyWell the battery IS bad can't charge at all, lies about current charge ( 0-5% ) - but since I'm running it on a power brick I didn't think that would cause any issues, guess I'll order a battery as well, Thanks

For my old laptop it did. But just taking the battery out solved the problem.
Guppy Jul 23, 2020
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: GuppyWell the battery IS bad can't charge at all, lies about current charge ( 0-5% ) - but since I'm running it on a power brick I didn't think that would cause any issues, guess I'll order a battery as well, Thanks

For my old laptop it did. But just taking the battery out solved the problem.

An update if anyone cares ;)

The new battery finally arrived ( turns out "remote storage" means it's in china ), you were right - with the new battery it no longer throttles the cpu.

I wonder who the "genius" was that decided to "save power" by spinning the cpu fan slower, while on AC power no less :D

At any rate the temp is still kind of high hovering between 87-95 *C, gonna try with some new thermal paste and/or heat pipe.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.