Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Broken heatpipe?
Guppy 29 Jun

Got a used laptop it keeps getting themal throttled I suspect the heat pipe is bad ; one end is very hot the other quite cool.

Is this normal, or is it broken?

Sensors shows temps going up to 95 then falling to ~70 and raising again.

Dragunov 30 Jun

Really the only way to find out is to take it apart and check everything out, maybe apply a little bit of new thermal paste.
Many laptops have poor cooling solutions from the factory though. A bad battery can cause issues as well. If everything checks out as good, then proceed with a fresh install of Linux with fresh drivers.

Guppy 30 Jun

Quoting: DragunovReally the only way to find out is to take it apart and check everything out, maybe apply a little bit of new thermal paste.
Many laptops have poor cooling solutions from the factory though. A bad battery can cause issues as well. If everything checks out as good, then proceed with a fresh install of Linux with fresh drivers.

Well the battery IS bad can't charge at all, lies about current charge ( 0-5% ) - but since I'm running it on a power brick I didn't think that would cause any issues, guess I'll order a battery as well, Thanks

Ehvis 30 Jun

Quoting: GuppyWell the battery IS bad can't charge at all, lies about current charge ( 0-5% ) - but since I'm running it on a power brick I didn't think that would cause any issues, guess I'll order a battery as well, Thanks

For my old laptop it did. But just taking the battery out solved the problem.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...