Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Linux ilegal in Mexico ?
razing32 Jul 4, 2020
This is an odd one .
Just came upon the video today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ3LphA-SW4

As far as i understand it the government passed a law that does not allow modifying the hardware you own.
This can include installing Linux on a pc you own.
Maybe i am missing some bits , so any Spanish speakers feel free to correct me.
https://www.xataka.com.mx/legislacion-y-derechos/reparar-tu-smartphone-instalarle-rom-sera-delito-mexico-nueva-ley-que-proteje-candados-digitales-explicada

So , if this is as i am understanding it , DAMN
Arehandoro Jul 4, 2020
I was going to translate it, but rather leave here the explanation of someone that actually lives in Mexico.

QuoteNo, it's not illegal install Linux in your laptop or PC, it's illegal break DRM software or hardware, this law it's related to T-MEC, and the it's about reverse engineering software or hardware to obtein benefits or profits with otherones intellectual property , and there are several exceptions to the economic sanction for reversal engineering like suppress personal information send to others. About criminal conduct's the added articles refers only to the decoding satellite transmissions and encoding wires (yes I know sound weird but that's what it's written in the law) Finally about censorship, the online platforms have to take down any content copy right related made by the one who claims have the copy rights, but can be restored via counter claim, if it's not a legal course on it's way. I'm a Mexican lawyer and use Linux(Fedora) as my daily driver, I'm all about freedom in software and hardware, but I see very dificult to send to jail or even put an economic sanction to anyone, the political climate in my country is very odd and they are overreacting to the news or just spreading fake news. Finally have to say I'm not in favor of the current president, but I try to stay the most objective possible in every particular situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/hkke0k/did_mexico_just_make_it_illegal_to_install_linux/

Some of those several exceptions can be read in the article:

- To use interoperability: Changing hardware/systems but most importantly So systems can use open source software
- To prevent access to minors to certain sites.
- For pentesting and security/bug fixing.
- For a non-profit org to decide if it wants to purchase the full program.
- When a person wishes that their device stops recollecting data: Stopping GPS, etc.
- To keep national security: LOL
- For auditors.
- For software translation, as long as it's non for profit.

So, basically, anyone with one way or another can apply for any of those exceptions xD As the articles says, though, it prevents to repair and extend the device's life. It's a very anti-consumer law, which by the way was signed with the US and Canada altogether so I guess it's the same in those countries too?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.