Stardew Valley won't launch (Steam - Ubuntu)
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
omicron-b Jul 9, 2020
Instead of selecting Proton to launch the game, try selecting Steam Linux Runtime in the same drop down menu.
But first make sure Proton is not selected and uninstall the game, so Windows game files won't stand in your way.
This often helped me launch games that won't normally run on my (testing) system.
DesperateNewbie Jul 10, 2020
Quoting: Thrash_Metal_Computers
Quoting: DesperateNewbie
Quoting: Liam DaweAre there any logs in: ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs ?

Additionally, try it in windowed mode to check if it's a full-screen issue. You can switch it in the ~/.config/StardewValley/startup_preferences file.

I didn't find any folder related to Stardew Valley in .config.

I got really tired of testing. With every single change, I had to forcefully restart my computer because it completely freezes everytime I launch the game.

I give up. I must be the only guy with this problem lol. I would play with proton but is unstable and it crashes. Refunding.

I might be a bit late as you may have already refunded the game. I had a look through the log and as eidaking said, it could well be a problem with the game communicating with the Steam overlay. You already tried the "magic number is wrong: 542" fix from Liam and that didn't work.

Have you tried turning off the Steam overlay and then running the game?

My advice would be to not give up if you can with problems like this. I find using Linux can sometimes be like playing a hard game like Dark Souls. You bash your head against a boss multiple times and it seems impossible, then you eventually succeed and you fix the problem and you feel amazing (plus you learn something in the process).

The Linux community is also amazing (especially on GamingOnLinux) and as demonstrated here, people are more than happy to help you with any issue you may have.

I agree. I was frustrated at the time of making that post. I ended up not refunding the game and taking a break from fixing it.

Quoting: Liam DaweIt's not an overlay problem, those errors in the log about it can be entirely ignored.

Aight. I always have the steam overlay turned off for perfomance though. So consider that tested @Thrash_Metal_Computers

Quoting: omicron-bInstead of selecting Proton to launch the game, try selecting Steam Linux Runtime in the same drop down menu.
But first make sure Proton is not selected and uninstall the game, so Windows game files won't stand in your way.
This often helped me launch games that won't normally run on my (testing) system.

Hello

Reinstalled and launched the game with Steam Linux Runtime and all the suggestions above (Modified shell script, export TERM=xterm)

Same thing. PC froze for the duration of half a metallica song.

Spoiler, click me

Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 413150: 0
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 413150 "", ProcID 1929, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/nehu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/nehu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Starting app 413150
>>> Adding process 1929 for game ID 413150
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
>>> Adding process 1930 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 1931 for game ID 413150
GameAction [AppID 413150, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 1932 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 1935 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 1936 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 1937 for game ID 413150
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gvfs/libgvfscommon.so: undefined symbol: g_task_new
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
pressure-vessel-locale-gen: No locales need to be generated
>>> Adding process 2061 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2062 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2063 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2064 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2065 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2066 for game ID 413150
>>> Adding process 2067 for game ID 413150
Please use SDL 2.0.5 or higher.
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); Window.ClientBounds={X:560 Y:300 Width:1280 Height:720}
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); options is null, returning.
/data/src/common/pipes.cpp (770) : Assertion Failed: fatal stalled cross-thread pipe
/data/src/common/pipes.cpp (770) : Assertion Failed: fatal stalled cross-thread pipe
/data/src/common/pipes.cpp (770) : Fatal assert failed: /data/src/common/pipes.cpp, line 770.  Application exiting.

/data/src/common/pipes.cpp (770) : Fatal assert failed: /data/src/common/pipes.cpp, line 770.  Application exiting.

/home/nehu/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/StardewValley: line 39:  2067 Killed                  ./StardewValley.bin.x86_64 $@
/data/src/webhelper/cef_clienthandler.cpp (3344) : Assertion Failed: killing unresponsive browser for URL https://steamloopback.host/index.html?IN_CLIENT=true&accountid=144542769&LOCAL_HOSTNAME=nehu-pc&USE_POPUPS=true&DEV_MODE=false&OFFLINE_MODE=false&LANGUAGE=english&PLATFORM=linux&COUNTRY=AR&LAUNCHER_T
/data/src/webhelper/cef_clienthandler.cpp (3344) : Assertion Failed: killing unresponsive browser for URL https://steamloopback.host/index.html?IN_CLIENT=true&accountid=144542769&LOCAL_HOSTNAME=nehu-pc&USE_POPUPS=true&DEV_MODE=false&OFFLINE_MODE=false&LANGUAGE=english&PLATFORM=linux&COUNTRY=AR&LAUNCHER_T
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1594252496)
assert_20200710134806_26.dmp[2105]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
/tmp/dumps/assert_20200710134806_26.dmp
_ExitOnFatalAssert
nehu@nehu-pc:~$ 
nehu@nehu-pc:~$ assert_20200710134806_26.dmp[2105]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
assert_20200710134806_26.dmp[2105]: response: CrashID=bp-762bda7a-51b8-4fb2-ab5d-e62792200710
assert_20200710134806_26.dmp[2105]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20200710134806_26.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-762bda7a-51b8-4fb2-ab5d-e62792200710''
nehu@nehu-pc:~$ export TERM=xterm
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.