Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
So I am taking a Python course
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Hamish Oct 16, 2013
I have enrolled in a course primarily on programming in Python provided by MITx. Not especially useful for learning game logic, but it is useful for getting into the fundamentals.

https://www.edx.org/course/mit/6-00-1x/introduction-computer-science/1122

Still waiting on receiving my textbook, but I have already gone through the first lecture series. Learning the terminology so far has been useful since my other programming knowledge comes from mostly being self-taught.
Samsai Oct 16, 2013
Good luck on your journey to discover the holy grail of Pythonic Code, may the Spam be with you!
Half-Shot Oct 17, 2013
Python is the most useful scripting language imo. No compiling, its automatically cross compatible and has a library to just about everything. In a way i'm envious that you get to learn it from a cource rather than  scraps off StackOverflow.
Hamish Oct 17, 2013
So basically after the first week they give you enough fundamentals that you could make a linear text based choose your own adventure game.

Which is around where I was at with QBasic a decade ago. Still, lets get a handle on the simple stuff first.
owen123 Oct 18, 2013
That good :) It is a online course?
Hamish Oct 18, 2013
Yes, through the edX interface, which is better than a lot of other online learning tools I have used. The course itself is provided by MIT.
n30p1r4t3 Oct 18, 2013
Isn't PlayOnLinux written in python? For practice you could fix some bugs! :D
Hamish Oct 19, 2013
Afraid not, since I have absolutely no use for it. Might be some things I could contribute elsewhere though.
Liam Dawe Oct 19, 2013
I really need to learn something other than PHP :(
Caldazar Oct 19, 2013
Python is great for scripting imho. I like it except for the weird rules on how you have to indent your code.

With programming I probably go with Go. Right now I'm on "Hello World" level, but it's fun.
One great thing with it is that it teaches you coding with it while you do it.
You even get errors for bad style. "Trying to shortcut on an error catching routine? No way I'll compile your crap. Try again!"

That sucks for writing little dirty scripts of course. There I prefer Python. You get stuff done with it way quicker.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.