You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Weekend Players' Club 5/3/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Triple Play Baseball (2001 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

PC

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Triple Play Baseball…...

A baseball game made by Tony Bosch......

The graphics….. For an early PS2 game the graphics are really nice and have aged really well….. They have a nice almost cartoony look about them……. While being realistic enough to know who the player is just by looking at them……. Being 2001 the player models look suitably juiced…... The stadiums are well done and look just like the real thing just slightly more cartoony as well…...

The sounds……. They are fine….. Nothing amazing but nothing bad either…… The commentators are good…… But there are a lot of repeated lines but that is to be expected in early PS2 days…….. Sounds effects are good and the music while not much of it is fine as well……..

The controls……… Controls are simple…… This is a more arcade like game compared to the super realistic MLB The Show I reviewed a few weeks ago……. Nothing bad and perfectly in line with other baseball games in the 6th gen……. A because of being slightly more arcadey the controls are a bit more forgiving.......

The storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up…….. The Doritos Pope stands in the room….. Hands behind his back in front of a large window….. He watches as the rain falls outside…… “They were right” said the Doritos Pope…… “It did indeed rain later on”…….. “Any word from Pengling???”………

“No im afraid not”…… Replied the Nacho Nun who was busy setting up a checkers board……. “Want to play some checkers all mighty pontiff??”……..

“Sure…… Not much else to do on a rainy day”……. The Pope replied dejectedly……. He slowly wonders over to the table and sits down opposite the Nacho Nun…… And they start playing checkers…….. The clock ticks loudly on the wall while the the soft noise of rain hitting the roof can be heard as the Doritos Pope and the Nacho Nun concentrate on the checkers board…...

“I have no idea what to do with that Banana Bint April O’Neil”…….. The Doritos Pope says while in deep thought…...

“Is she still hanging around the factory??”…… Questions the Nacho Nun…….

“Yeah”….. Replies the Pope…… “I cant just let her go…… Shes knows to much…….. But I cant kill her either or the Police will be really mad”…….. The Pope turns to look out of the window again watching the rain…….. As he does so the Nacho Nun moves all the pieces on the board……..

“Ive got it”…… The Doritos Pope says while snapping his fingers…….. “We will need to go back to the factory Nacho Nun”……

“I will go and warm up the car”…… Asserts the Nacho Nun trying to impress her mighty pontiff…….

The Pope looks back over the his shoulder as the rain starts falling even harder…… “No..... It will have to wait till tomorrow”……….

“Why will it have to wait???”…… The Nacho Nun replies confused……..

“Because this are my only clean robe and hat I have right now……. So I cant get them wet until we go to the dry cleaners and get the others cleaned”…….. The pope replies dejectedly…… “So it will have to wait”…... The Pope turns back in time to watch the Nacho Nun jump all his pieces and win the game easily……..

The Pope looks at the board with a forlorn look on his face……. “Well at least I should get a win tomorrow” He says as he lets out a sigh……. “Now how about some afternoon tea??”……...

The gameplay…… Its baseball…… Really not to say here except its more arcade like….. So a lot easier to hit and bitch than in some other MLB games…… The game goes at a nice pace and doesnt drag on like some others…….. The gameplay is good fun......

Overall…… A really good simcade baseball game for the PS2…… With its easier hitting and pitching mechanic than other games this is probably one of the better games for a new player to start with...... Hit dingers and smoke batters with fastballs…… PLAY BALL!!!…..

And that is why my final score for Triple Play Baseball is a Steroid Era out of 10………

Triple Play Baseball…...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4500 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

Need For Speed: Underground (2003 Electronic Arts) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)

NHL 06 (2005 EA Sports) – Nintendo GameCube – Sports (Hockey)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
I gave this girl a drink of my lemonade last night....... And she completely fell in love with me........ It was love at first Sprite........ As I Schwepped her of her feet........

*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling May 3

This weekend, I'll be carefully navigating my FPS motion-sickness issues and trying to get through a bit more of Doom II (Proton).

Though it's a fine game, thus far I've found it to be a bit less compelling than the original Doom, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to click a bit better with it this week, as well.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive)

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)

Stumble Guys* (Proton)

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)

*It's time for another episode of...

Pengling's Robot Army!

In the "Bot Bash" event in the free-to-play party-game Stumble Guys, players have to avoid being knocked off of the stage by ladybird-like robots, which are coloured blue, yellow, or red to denote their level of speed and aggression. Clearly, they would make excellent guard-bots, so now they're part of the robot army!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe storyline.…… There is no storyline so I get to make one up…….. The Doritos Pope stands in the room….. Hands behind his back in front of a large window….. He watches as the rain falls outside…… “They were right” said the Doritos Pope…… “It did indeed rain later on”…….. “Any word from Pengling???”………

“No im afraid not”…… Replied the Nacho Nun who was busy setting up a checkers board……. “Want to play some checkers all mighty pontiff??”……..

“Sure…… Not much else to do on a rainy day”……. The Pope replied dejectedly……. He slowly wonders over to the table and sits down opposite the Nacho Nun…… And they start playing checkers…….. The clock ticks loudly on the wall while the the soft noise of rain hitting the roof can be heard as the Doritos Pope and the Nacho Nun concentrate on the checkers board…...

“I have no idea what to do with that Banana Bint April O’Neil”…….. The Doritos Pope says while in deep thought…...

“Is she still hanging around the factory??”…… Questions the Nacho Nun…….

“Yeah”….. Replies the Pope…… “I cant just let her go…… Shes knows to much…….. But I cant kill her either or the Police will be really mad”…….. The Pope turns to look out of the window again watching the rain…….. As he does so the Nacho Nun moves all the pieces on the board……..

“Ive got it”…… The Doritos Pope says while snapping his fingers…….. “We will need to go back to the factory Nacho Nun”……

“I will go and warm up the car”…… Asserts the Nacho Nun trying to impress her mighty pontiff…….

The Pope looks back over the his shoulder as the rain starts falling even harder…… “No..... It will have to wait till tomorrow”……….

“Why will it have to wait???”…… The Nacho Nun replies confused……..

“Because this are my only clean robe and hat I have right now……. So I cant get them wet until we go to the dry cleaners and get the others cleaned”…….. The pope replies dejectedly…… “So it will have to wait”…... The Pope turns back in time to watch the Nacho Nun jump all his pieces and win the game easily……..

The Pope looks at the board with a forlorn look on his face……. “Well at least I should get a win tomorrow” He says as he lets out a sigh……. “Now how about some afternoon tea??”……...
HAHAHAHA! I see a showdown ahead!

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Triple Play Baseball…...
"Cheese Juice"?! EW!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 4500 PES points out of 5000……….
Only 500 to go!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
I gave this girl a drink of my lemonade last night....... And she completely fell in love with me........ It was love at first Sprite........ As I Schwepped her of her feet........

*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Hahahaha!
Quoting: PenglingThis weekend, I'll be carefully navigating my FPS motion-sickness issues
I can help you with that......

Quoting: Pengling
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive)
What on earth is happening to the sprites there???.......

Stardew Valley (Native Linux)
Dont fall in.....

Stumble Guys* (Proton)
Which one is you???..... I dont see any penguins willy........

Super Bomberman 4 (SNES)
GOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.......

Did you realise every game in your screenshot section started with an "S"??......

Quoting: PenglingHAHAHAHA! I see a showdown ahead!
Maybe..... Dunno yet.......

Quoting: Pengling"Cheese Juice"?! EW!
Well they cant use the real ads that are in the stadiums........ So they went with "Cheese Juice" which is a generic term for Paneer.... Which is a type of cheese most commonly made from milk and lemon juice.......

Quoting: PenglingOnly 500 to go!
Not long to go now.......

Quoting: PenglingHahahaha!
Good thing that you like terrible jokes......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 5 May 2024 at 1:09 pm UTC
Pengling May 8
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI can help you with that......
Hahaha, but I like rollercoasters! It's only FPSes that make me feel sick!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhat on earth is happening to the sprites there???.......
Knuckles is throwing a bomb, and Sonic is wearing an electric shield.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWhich one is you???..... I dont see any penguins willy........
I was wearing a knight outfit, somewhat resembling the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, at the time.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGOD DAMMIT PENGLING!.......

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderDid you realise every game in your screenshot section started with an "S"??......
Yes! I was quite amused when I was compiling it.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderWell they cant use the real ads that are in the stadiums........ So they went with "Cheese Juice" which is a generic term for Paneer.... Which is a type of cheese most commonly made from milk and lemon juice.......
I did not know that! That's actually really cool - I'll have to try to make some, when I've got the time.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.