Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What would make the Forum better for you?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Tchey Jul 12, 2020
Oh, i wanted to add : better contrast everywhere. Examples :
- the quote part of a message is grey on grey
- The "popular this week" is blueish on greyish
- writing a message is also with a greyish background, could be more white
etc

https://www.contrastrebellion.com/

Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: TcheyThe quote, edit etc, i’d like them at the bottom of a message.
Curious, why would that be? What does that improve?

When i read a long topic and want to quote a part of it,
When i re-read my message and want to edit it,
When i want to report spam or whatever,

i need to scroll up first, while i’m at the bottom of the message.

In my mind, these actions are done after reading a message, not before.

Last edited by Tchey on 12 July 2020 at 11:34 am UTC
jens Jul 12, 2020
  • Supporter
Quoting: Salvatosdate issues *snip*
Should be solved.

I think the username has the same issue, every link from the same discussion in the sidebar shares the same (last?) username of a discussion.

Last edited by jens on 12 July 2020 at 12:32 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jul 12, 2020
Agreed on quote styling, have adjusted it and it's much clearer.

Quote- writing a message is also with a greyish background, could be more white
That should be fixed too.
Liam Dawe Jul 12, 2020
Quoting: jens
Quoting: Salvatosdate issues *snip*
Should be solved.
I think the username has the same issue, every link from the same discussion in the sidebar shares the same (last?) username of a discussion.
Fixed.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 12 July 2020 at 1:19 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Jul 14, 2020
Quoting: Thrash_Metal_Computers@Liam Dawe Its a silly stylistic thing, but in the "Jump to a category" section, some categories are capitalised, while others are not, for example "Tech help" and "Website updates and info" are not capitalised, whilst "Supporter Only Forum" and "Website Bugs and Suggestions" are.

As I said, its a silly stylistic thing, so feel free to ignore it if you feel it is okay.

Aside from that and what others have suggested, these forums are fantastic and I can't find any fault in them.
Sure, minor point but I agree and I like things to match so I've adjusted the Forum naming :)
Shmerl Jul 15, 2020
At some point not long ago, fonts seem to have become smaller on the site. I liked the older look more.
Liam Dawe Jul 15, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlAt some point not long ago, fonts seem to have become smaller on the site. I liked the older look more.
Font is exactly the same size, just a different font so it looks slightly different. Size has absolutely not changed.
Liam Dawe Jul 15, 2020
Quoting: Thrash_Metal_Computers
Quoting: Thrash_Metal_Computers@Liam Dawe Its a silly stylistic thing, but in the "Jump to a category" section, some categories are capitalised, while others are not, for example "Tech help" and "Website updates and info" are not capitalised, whilst "Supporter Only Forum" and "Website Bugs and Suggestions" are.

As I said, its a silly stylistic thing, so feel free to ignore it if you feel it is okay.

Aside from that and what others have suggested, these forums are fantastic and I can't find any fault in them.
Sure, minor point but I agree and I like things to match so I've adjusted the Forum naming :)

Awesome, thanks for sorting that.

Another point I was going to suggest was having either an "eSports" category or a dedicated thread on "All Other Chat", so people can discuss the scene surrounding DOTA2, CS:GO, and other Linux native or WINE enabled games. I'm thinking maybe a dedicated thread is better, but just wanted to hear your opinion before I create a thread.

I'm a huge fan of Starcraft 2 and follow the GSL quite closely, so it would be nice to have a chat with similarly interested people. Plus I started watching DOTA2 streams fairly recently.
For that, the all other chat forum would likely do fine. Feel free to start a topic on it but i don't think it really needs a dedicated category though right now.
Pangaea Jul 18, 2020
The links in the forum like "3 days ago" don't appear to work so well, and leads to a 404 page.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/%7B:last_link%7D

Don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but it's something I like from phpBB forums and the like. Namely to be able to selectively quote, and multi-quote more easily, without so much manual fiddling about with tags. For instance you highlight whatever you want to quote in a post, and get an option to make a new post (ofc in draft form). While there, select more text, perhaps from different posts, and it's added in the draft box. Especially the former would be quite nice though, especially when you try to quote from huge posts, but only want to quote the relevant bits. In some forums (not here I think?) people are really lazy and quote half an essay and then reply "I agree" or something, making it a pain to read (which wouldn't be a problem here in fairness due to the cutting off thing of long quotes).

Anyway, being able to selectively quote like that would be quite handy :)
Liam Dawe Jul 18, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaThe links in the forum like "3 days ago" don't appear to work so well, and leads to a 404 page.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/%7B:last_link%7D
Sorry about that, fixed.

Selective quoting is tricky to do, requires more JS but I will eventually look into it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.