New quote feature
Ehvis Jul 20, 2020
The new feature to quote selected text is quite nice in itself. I see two issue though.

1. Quoting from within quoted text attributes the quote to the writer of the post and not to the original author. A minor thing, but it might lead to confusion down the road as even in the old system people seem to have messed up their quotes regularly. Might even be best to leave copy the entire "quote tree" if at all possible.

2. A much bigger issue (for me anyway), is that text is deselected when you right click it. Which means no "copy" or "search" options. This loss is bigger for me than the gain of the quote option.
Liam Dawe Jul 20, 2020
Quoting: Ehvis1. Quoting from within quoted text attributes the quote to the writer of the post and not to the original author. A minor thing, but it might lead to confusion down the road as even in the old system people seem to have messed up their quotes regularly. Might even be best to leave copy the entire "quote tree" if at all possible.
Yes, I have been thinking on the best way to handle that. My options are basically some annoying DOM traversal in JS to find the quoted person or to not allow the feature in quotes which is likely the best option.

Quoting: Ehvis2. A much bigger issue (for me anyway), is that text is deselected when you right click it. Which means no "copy" or "search" options. This loss is bigger for me than the gain of the quote option.
Sorry about that, should be solved now tested across Firefox, Chrome, Brave and Opera.

Edit: also just solved the button going underneath the next comment box if you were selecting the bottom row of text.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 20 July 2020 at 10:15 am UTC
Ehvis Jul 20, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweSorry about that, should be solved now tested across Firefox, Chrome, Brave and Opera.

Woohoo! Thanks, works great now!
Liam Dawe Jul 20, 2020
Happy to hear that :)

I'll start looking into the best way to target existing quotes to ignore them this week, just need to work out the correct flow with the current implementation.
CatKiller Jul 20, 2020
The "long quote" text is wrong now. It says Click to view long quote from Quoting: $user instead of Click to view long quote from $user.

Also, the "like" button seems to be MIA.
Liam Dawe Jul 21, 2020
Quoting: CatKillerThe "long quote" text is wrong now.
Fixed.

Quoting: CatKillerAlso, the "like" button seems to be MIA.
Unrelated, that will be a privacy plugin being overzealous blocking it thinking it's social network stuff. We've made small attempts to re-word some CSS classes to get around it but really it's not our bug.
CatKiller Jul 21, 2020
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: CatKillerThe "long quote" text is wrong now.
Fixed.
Yay!
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: CatKillerAlso, the "like" button seems to be MIA.
Unrelated, that will be a privacy plugin being overzealous blocking it thinking it's social network stuff. We've made small attempts to re-word some CSS classes to get around it but really it's not our bug.
Certainly possible: I do use Privacy Badger. It was working till a couple of days ago, though, and it's working again from whatever you changed, so thanks.

Last edited by CatKiller on 21 July 2020 at 11:08 am UTC
Liam Dawe Jul 24, 2020
Have today made more improvements to it. It will no longer let you selectively quote a quote inside a post, because that adds to the confusion and leads to all the massive quotes we have already. It's supposed to be a feature to let you selectively quote *that* person, so now it's as expected.

It will also no longer let you selectively quote the likes bar since it's not supposed to. I think we're nearly finished with it. There's some positioning issues with the Quote button that appears in some browsers but it's minor. After that's sorted, we can look to make it prettier....
Ehvis Jul 24, 2020
The quote selection works like a charm. Very nice! However, it does not put the quote tags in for the nested quotes, so it's not (yet) a replacement for quoting the full post and then deleting what you don't need.
Liam Dawe Jul 24, 2020
Quoting: EhvisThe quote selection works like a charm. Very nice! However, it does not put the quote tags in for the nested quotes, so it's not (yet) a replacement for quoting the full post and then deleting what you don't need.
That's what I just posted about above, it's not targeting existing quotes.
junibegood Aug 18, 2023
I'm doing some necro here just to mention that I discovered this awesome feature only today ! That makes me think that it may deserve more visibility.

I'm quite a niche user, because I use a browser add-on to interact with websites mainly using my keyboard, that could explain why I never noticed the feature before. But I suppose other users quote part of a message the way I did before, which was :
  • Click the quote button

• Remove from the quoted message the parts I don't want to quote

Not sure how to make it more visible though. Maybe a short message above the textarea, when you used the quote button ?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.