Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
What is the Smoothest Distro playing games ON these Days?
fires 27 Jul

What is the Smoothest Distro playing games ON these Days?

TimeFreeze 27 Jul

What do you mean with "smoothest"? No Lags and such? How easy something is?

Anyway i would say: Every Distro can be "smooth". If you want the most out of your Distro you should go with Gentoo. But thats however not that easy as other distros. If you want a low resource system that can also be any Distro with any WM or a Lightweight DE such as XFCE for example. Depending on your Hardware you might need the latest Kernel in that case something like Manjaro / Arch / Gentoo would be good anything which is a Rolling Release Distro really. If you just want a simple click and go Distro i would suggest either Ubuntu / POP OS / Linux Mint / Manjaro and so on.

TLDR: Any Distro can be "smooth" and good. It just depends on your needs.

Last edited by TimeFreeze on 27 July 2020 at 5:38 pm UTC

Jared 27 Jul

Define what you mean by smoothest. PopOS and SalientOS do have some software related to gaming preinstalled by default. You can however customize any distribution to your liking, as well as adding custom kernels that can increase your gaming performance. These tools that are preinstalled on these distributions listed above aren't distro exclusive but rather distro agnostic.

Last edited by Jared on 27 July 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC

Jared 27 Jul

Quoting: TimeFreezeWhat do you mean with "smoothest"? No Lags and such? How easy something is?

Anyway i would say: Every Distro can be "smooth". If you want the most out of your Distro you should go with Gentoo. But thats however not that easy as other distros. If you want a low resource system that can also be any Distro with any WM or a Lightweight DE such as XFCE for example. Depending on your Hardware you might need the latest Kernel in that case something like Manjaro / Arch / Gentoo would be good anything which is a Rolling Release Distro really. If you just want a simple click and go Distro i would suggest either Ubuntu / POP OS / Linux Mint / Manjaro and so on.

TLDR: Any Distro can be "smooth" and good. It just depends on your needs.
As long as the compositor is disabled for the given desktop environment or window manager, you shouldn't be seeing any loss of framerates. KDE, for example, disables its compositor by default, when gaming.

fires 28 Jul

I just read something Like this

This Morning and it was explainning how POP os 19.04 was such native to Games and Steam

Jared 28 Jul

Quoting: firesI just read something Like this

This Morning and it was explainning how POP os 19.04 was such native to Games and Steam
With the two major exception being AMD's open source graphics drivers and advancements of wine on its newer versions, there shouldn't be much differences in the performance of games between distributions. I'm not saying all distributions are created equally as newer packages are generally preferred to than older ones. Hence why Debian Stable, Slackware static release version and CentOS aren't recommended as gaming distros. Ubuntu based distros and Arch based ones are typically recommended due to having the most support in this category, though Void, Gentoo and Solus can also suffice. With Gentoo, in particular, the problem is that you have to compile the packages which in itself is time consuming unless you have a beastly PC and the performance difference is usually non-existant in most cases, with the best scenario resulting in an increase of 1-2 fps. When people say PopOS is good for gaming, they don't mean that the results cannot be replicated on other distribution. They are mainly talking about its ease of use with most of the programs or software or drivers associated with gaming on Linux being preinstalled on PopOS or SalientOS.

mirv 28 Jul

I'll chime in and add to the chorus:
Any distro can run fairly decently; it's not really the distro itself that impacts gaming experience (in terms of performance anyway), so much as the choice of desktop manager, drivers being used, that sort of thing.
Granted that a default installation (without much in the way of configuration) can be different between distros, and in that case probably Ubuntu or Debian (the former will likely be the least hassle to install and get started on gaming).

Gentoo definitely isn't about performance. It's about customisation. There are very rare cases where there are legitimate performance reasons to use it, but if you're using something where that matters....well, in all honesty, you're probably already more informed about which distro to pick!

Aside from performance, picking a distro where things don't break on a regular basis, or where the system libs are aligned to most games out there will be important too. Which will mostly be Ubuntu or some other Debian based system.

Kuduzkehpan 28 Jul

Gaming ? FULLSCREEN EXLUSİVE ? KDE PLASMA wins.

fires 30 Jul

Quoting: Jared
Quoting: firesI just read something Like this

With the two major exception being AMD's open source graphics drivers and advancements of wine on its newer versions, there shouldn't be much differences in the performance of games between distributions. I'm not saying all distributions are created equally as newer packages are generally preferred to than older ones. Hence why Debian Stable, Slackware static release version and CentOS aren't recommended as gaming distros. Ubuntu based distros and Arch based ones are typically recommended due to having the most support in this category, though Void, Gentoo and Solus can also suffice. With Gentoo, in particular, the problem is that you have to compile the packages which in itself is time consuming unless you have a beastly PC and the performance difference is usually non-existant in most cases, with the best scenario resulting in an increase of 1-2 fps. When people say PopOS is good for gaming, they don't mean that the results cannot be replicated on other distribution. They are mainly talking about its ease of use with most of the programs or software or drivers associated with gaming on Linux being preinstalled on PopOS or SalientOS.

Yes

thats exactly what i meant

fires 30 Jul

Quoting: KuduzkehpanKDE PLASMA

I never had any Luck with KDE

i just dont know i tried installing 2 times and it just did not work for me

i liked very much openbox

I've always had excellent performance with games in Kubuntu

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...