Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
What is the Smoothest Distro playing games ON these Days?
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
dr_jekyll Sep 11, 2020
Quoting: CatKillerThere's absolutely no reason why people need the highest version number of everything on their computer.

That's simply wrong, security is a reason.

Quoting: CatKillerThe range of distros available is intimidating to new users; people going around saying that they might make the wrong choice makes it needlessly more intimidating for them.

I also disagree on that, it would be much more helpful for new users to give more detailed descriptions of distros, than simply saying "use ubuntu".

Quoting: CatKillerThere aren't wrong choices, and neither rolling nor non-rolling distros are inherently superior to the other.

There are many wrong choices, so users should inform themselves before the installation.
And obviously I disagree on the validity of stable distros.

---
Quoting: firesBut cant find any sreen shots

Just search for it in a search machine of your choice.

Quoting: firesNice links so i am downloading clear linux

Maybe I am wrong, but you should check before you think "thats the distro".
I assume it might not be the right choice.
The first sentence on distro watch:
"Clear Linux is a minimal distribution primarily designed with performance and cloud use-cases in mind."

Minimal is the word you don't want as a Gamer.
denyasis Sep 11, 2020
Smooth

Reminds me of some old training I had. The instructor's mantra: "Smooth is fast". For me, that's not a speed metric, but how cumbersome it is to get to the point when you're ready.

A smooth distro let's me administer it so I can get to the gaming quicker. Complicated set up, command line, editing confs, adding repos aren't difficult, but they aren't gaming.

I've tried OpenSuse Tumbleweed for almost 2 years now and have been impressed. It setup very easily, included file system snapshots in case of breakage and needed fairly minimal tinkering to get it to gaming shape (I think I had to check a box in repository management).

Only bump I can think of is that it is preferred to update packages via the command line, but I think that is true for many distros.
g000h Sep 12, 2020
Software is constantly in flux, as new code is written and compiled to new packages. It is common for developers to make mistakes and produce code with bugs in it - This can happen early in development or in the very latest release.

It is true that earlier software flaws and bugs are often identified and fixed in later releases, but also newer releases are often larger, with more features, and more difficult to maintain than the earlier ones.

It is perfectly possible for an earlier piece of software to be more stable, less buggy, and more secure, than the latest update. The latest updates haven't had the opportunity for quality testing, that older software has had.

There are different levels of security flaws as well - Ones which are very low risk (and less urgent to fix) and ones which are a big threat and need an urgent response. Older software tends to get these important security patches as soon as it is available.
Koopacabras Sep 12, 2020
according to Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2020/05/19/heres-why-ubuntu-linux-2004-feels-insanely-fast-and-responsive/#3d2f226142cc

Ubuntu 20.04 is really responsive and smooth

off topic: also when talking about smoothness always make me remember about that Santana song. I think in spanish smooth would translate to "suave" which means a completely different thing. and nothing to do with speed and performance. there is no other acception.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 12 September 2020 at 1:55 pm UTC
mos Sep 12, 2020
need to remember what mods are actually for on forums and ban for stupid flame questions
tuubi Sep 12, 2020
Quoting: mosneed to remember what mods are actually for on forums and ban for stupid flame questions
You might want to read the rules. According to them, distribution wars are not allowed (and I fully agree that they're pointless), but another rule goes like this: "Backseat moderation is not wanted. If you have issues, report it by hitting the little flag icon on a post."
mos Sep 12, 2020
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: mosneed to remember what mods are actually for on forums and ban for stupid flame questions
You might want to read the rules. According to them, distribution wars are not allowed (and I fully agree that they're pointless), but another rule goes like this: "Backseat moderation is not wanted. If you have issues, report it by hitting the little flag icon on a post."
I'd rather ban those who support the pointless discussion with "da serious" answers
troll the idiots so they leave the forums themselves I say... BUT there's the actual gripe with moderation - you'll be moderated for keeping the Internet clean and culling the entropy. NOT the idiots.. in most cases, sadly.
mos Sep 12, 2020
Quoting: GuestGNU/Linux desktop solutions are not a one-size-fits-all
thanks. am in dis game since roughly 2004 and tasted distros that were big in the day but donna even exist now.

am talking about something completely different here. and no, there's nothing useful in a thread like this.
mos Sep 12, 2020
the rule of thumb in this is the same that is true for most things in life - it's not that important what the tool is (one vs the other) but the expertise of the user.
mos Sep 12, 2020
Quoting: GuestNobody is born with intimate computing knowledge
exactly. not even the nipple. it's all LEARNED. (c)
it's not learning this discussion. I KNOW what's learning is. and it's not this. same goes for 90% threads on similar subjects on the net sadly.
I've started with literally 2-3 pages of printed text first discovering that there's HDA in linuxes rather than C: or D:

but it's important how you go from there. there's much more oppo's to learn today than 15 yrs ago, but sadly way less perseverance to do so...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.