You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[Solved] amdgpu.ppfeaturemask not works with kernel 5.4
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Vinouch Sep 5, 2020
My System Info
Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04
Graphics Card: RX 5600 XT
GPU Driver Version: AMDGPU

I can unlock the access to adjust clocks and voltages of my AMD GPU by appending the Kernel parameter amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff with kernel 5.8.x of Ubuntu 20.04 but not with kernel 5.4. Why not with kernel 5.4 ? With kernel 5.8, I can edit the file /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage but with kernel 5.4, I can't, as the file is not unlocked, permission deny even with root. I confirm I update grub after each modify. I followed the procedure from: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

Quoting: Wiki Archlinux§ Overclocking
Since Linux 4.17, it is possible to adjust clocks and voltages of the graphics card via /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage.
Some of my data:
$ cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff"
$ ls /sys/class/drm/card0/device | grep pp_od
pp_od_clk_voltage
$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
$ uname -a
Linux ASUS-xxx 5.4.0-45-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 26 13:38:52 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by Vinouch on 5 September 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC
tuxintuxedo Sep 5, 2020
If the feature was implemented after 5.4, then it's obvious you can't use it.
"I can't, as the file is not unlocked, permission deny even with root"
Elaborate on this. Does this file even exist?
tuubi Sep 5, 2020
As tuxintuxedo said, Linux 5.4 doesn't have navi10 support for pp_od_clk_voltage. The required patches landed in some point release of 5.5 I think.
Vinouch Sep 5, 2020
You're wrong. I edited my post.
tuxintuxedo Sep 5, 2020
That's just half the truth. It's possible only if proper video card support is in the kernel as well for that. That is what is missing in 5.4. So we are not wrong.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 5 September 2020 at 1:36 pm UTC
Vinouch Sep 5, 2020
Quoting: tuxintuxedoThat's just half the truth. It's possible only if proper video card support is in the kernel as well for that. That is what is missing in 5.4. So we are not wrong.
Can you share a reliable source of what you are affirm?
tuxintuxedo Sep 5, 2020
I could, but I am lazy to search for it right now. It shouldn't be hard actually. The main problem is that what you read not necessary means what you think it means. On the other side, we have a few years of experience and knowledge behind us. You must understand that we are trying to help you, not to oppose.
tuubi Sep 5, 2020
Quoting: Vinouch
Quoting: tuxintuxedoThat's just half the truth. It's possible only if proper video card support is in the kernel as well for that. That is what is missing in 5.4. So we are not wrong.
Can you share a reliable source of what you are affirm?
This was one of the first search results I got: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11246767/

That looks like the relevant set of patches (and more) going into drm-next-5.5.

I don't get the hostility by the way. We're just trying to help. None of this is controversial and all of the information is freely available.
Vinouch Sep 5, 2020
Thanks for the source, you were right. No offense, but since many years, it's very difficult to get reliable source from comments on forum. I see that when I'm being provocative, people found sources better than me.
damarrin Sep 5, 2020
Actually, nvm.

Last edited by damarrin on 5 September 2020 at 6:18 pm UTC
Koopacabras Sep 5, 2020
just a quick google search about why is better to use 5.8

more info click here

Last edited by Koopacabras on 5 September 2020 at 8:18 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.