Linux gaming headphones
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Slackdog Oct 8, 2020
Anyone recommend me a decent set of headphones? Needs to work with games as well as zoom etc? Budget of around 100 pounds UK.

Cheers!
Jared Oct 9, 2020
Most, if not all, headphones should work with any operating system. The Senheisser HD 559 offers some great sound quality for £87. However, please note that these are open eared headphones, meaning they sacrifice sound isolation for better sound quality. For close ear headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-40X for around £78 are also great set of headphones.
Though if I may ask, why do you have ahigh budget for those headphones? Unless you're an audiophile, some budget headphones can suffice.
Mountain Man Oct 11, 2020
Any pair of analog headphones will work with Linux. The only thing that might not work would be something like USB headphones that require a proprietary driver. I own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 which sell for around $90US and are designed for professional audio mixing but are fantastic all-around headphones.
Cybolic Oct 11, 2020
If you are specifically looking for USB headphones, then the ones from Roccat work in Linux without issue. I have the Kave XTD 5.1 set from them and don't recall ever having any problems with them.
Note that I no longer use these as my daily drivers as my standard phono ones from beyerdynamic sound better for music.
Shmerl Oct 12, 2020
Sony MDR V6 if you can find them (they go out of production but return periodically). I combine them with this DAC and amplifier, connecting to the motherboard through optical S/PDIF:

https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-dac/
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

The resulting sound is very clear.

Last edited by Shmerl on 12 October 2020 at 3:26 am UTC
TobyGornow Oct 12, 2020
JVC HA-RX 900

It's my second one, clear sound, outside noise canceling, robust. I love it and it's relatively cheap for this quality.

The cons : the ear cushion are made with fake leather that chipped away with an intensive usage in about 5 years and finding leather replacement is not easy.

A bit on the heavy side and hot during summer.
Anza Oct 12, 2020
I invested in USB headset when my cheap USB sound card broke. Criteria was something available and somebody had tested it on Linux as I don't trust either that non standard stuff works with Linux. Luckily the headset I got is actually pretty standard USB headset from driver point of view.

This is what I got: HyperX Cloud II

Everything essential works on Linux. I'm not sure about 7.1 surround as I haven't tested it.

Cable is split in two. First part has TRRS connector, so microphone won't necessarily work with computer if you want to go analog, but it's common with phones. Second part is USB soundcard that has mute, volume and other usual stuff.

Microphone is noise cancelling and detachable. I haven't gotten any complaints about background noise during meetings, though I haven't tested it with the usual stuff like kids screaming or dogs barking (I would have to loan one for testing as I have neither). Side effect is that I get complaints if microphone is not pointed directly to my mouth.

Two sets of ear cushion is included in the package in case you don't like the faux leather.

Cable is pretty long, especially if you have the USB sound card attached. There's some risk of tangling because of that. But if you're worried about that, wireless headset might be better.

Audio quality with music seems to be fine, though wouldn't expect the headset to fare well in true hi-fi territory.
Slackdog Oct 12, 2020
yeah thanks, guys! I have a set of ageing (and disintegrating) Hyper X Cloud II's here atm. They sound awesome but the mic stopped working a while back. I will be checking out the suggestions and will let you know what I got with!

Thx again for the input :)
Slackdog Oct 12, 2020
Quoting: JaredMost, if not all, headphones should work with any operating system. The Senheisser HD 559 offers some great sound quality for £87. However, please note that these are open eared headphones, meaning they sacrifice sound isolation for better sound quality. For close ear headphones, the Audio-Technica ATH-40X for around £78 are also great set of headphones.
Though if I may ask, why do you have ahigh budget for those headphones? Unless you're an audiophile, some budget headphones can suffice.

Hi Jared,

Had my Hyper X Cloud II's for a while and I use them pretty much all the time. My speakers were bought for my 486DX-100 ;) Logitech sure know how to make speakers!

Seeing as how I use them for pretty much everything gonna go overkill and get a really good set!
Anza Oct 13, 2020
Quoting: Slackdogyeah thanks, guys! I have a set of ageing (and disintegrating) Hyper X Cloud II's here atm. They sound awesome but the mic stopped working a while back. I will be checking out the suggestions and will let you know what I got with!

Thx again for the input :)

I had some problems with the microphone too at first. Though it was because I hadn't connected it properly.

Also with electrical equipment, sometimes all that's needed is cleaning up the contacts. Also as the microphone is detachable, it would be nice to be able to order replacement parts.
Anza Oct 14, 2020
Quoting: AnzaAlso with electrical equipment, sometimes all that's needed is cleaning up the contacts. Also as the microphone is detachable, it would be nice to be able to order replacement parts.

Actually, they do sell spare parts for the HyperX products. Makes lot of sense as quite many parts are detachable. Of course if the headset is under warranty, it's better to make use that option first, but once that runs out having option to buy spare parts is very nice.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.