Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Linux gaming headphones
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Mountain Man Oct 18, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlSony MDR V6 if you can find them (they go out of production but return periodically). I combine them with this DAC and amplifier, connecting to the motherboard through optical S/PDIF:

https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-dac/
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

The resulting sound is very clear.
The MDR V6 was discontinued and replaced by the MDR-7506 some time ago. Specification wise, there is almost no difference between them. If you can find the V6 for sale these days, it's going to be rather expensive since it has become somewhat of a collector's item.
Shmerl Oct 18, 2020
Quoting: Mountain ManThe MDR V6 was discontinued and replaced by the MDR-7506 some time ago. Specification wise, there is almost no difference between them. If you can find the V6 for sale these days, it's going to be rather expensive since it has become somewhat of a collector's item.

I think it was discontinued and continued back and forth for a while. So Sony can bring it back again. It's slightly different from what I've heard.

Last edited by Shmerl on 18 October 2020 at 7:10 pm UTC
Mountain Man Oct 18, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Mountain ManThe MDR V6 was discontinued and replaced by the MDR-7506 some time ago. Specification wise, there is almost no difference between them. If you can find the V6 for sale these days, it's going to be rather expensive since it has become somewhat of a collector's item.

I think it was discontinued and continued back and forth for a while. So Sony can bring it back again. It's slightly different from what I've heard.
The specs I've seen suggest that the V6 theoretically had a slightly broader frequency range than the 7506, but since both headphones are technically capable of producing sounds well outside of the capabilities of normal human hearing, I doubt there's any real discernible difference. Really, you can't go wrong with either headset. They sound great and are extremely durable.
Slackdog Oct 20, 2020
I've checked and the HyperX Cloud II's only have 7.1 on windoze as it needs extra drivers. Great cans tho'. I do need the mic or I'd get one of the many good suggestions, Shmerl etc :)
Shmerl Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: Mountain ManThe specs I've seen suggest that the V6 theoretically had a slightly broader frequency range than the 7506, but since both headphones are technically capable of producing sounds well outside of the capabilities of normal human hearing, I doubt there's any real discernible difference. Really, you can't go wrong with either headset. They sound great and are extremely durable.

How do Sony MDR-CD900ST compare to V6 and 7506? I see some are saying they are better quality than both.
Shmerl Oct 20, 2020
By the way, about the benefit of using external DAC and optical connection.

In the past I was simply attaching my headphones to the analog audio output on the motherboard. Under heavy GPU load it was creating some annoying interference that was audible. After switching to DAC + amplifier setup connected over optical S/PDIF, all that was gone.

That's besides OL DAC and Objective2 amplifier producing very clear sound which is probably better than any DAC built into motherboard or found in USB based headphones that have DAC in them.

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 October 2020 at 10:00 pm UTC
Mountain Man Oct 21, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Mountain ManThe specs I've seen suggest that the V6 theoretically had a slightly broader frequency range than the 7506, but since both headphones are technically capable of producing sounds well outside of the capabilities of normal human hearing, I doubt there's any real discernible difference. Really, you can't go wrong with either headset. They sound great and are extremely durable.

How do Sony MDR-CD900ST compare to V6 and 7506? I see some are saying they are better quality than both.
I don't know anything about the MDR-CD900ST, and I suppose it depends what one means by "better". I chose the 7506 because they are "flat" by design, meaning that all frequencies are produced at the same relative volume. Nothing is artificially boosted which is why they are prized by audio professionals. In theory, they allow you to hear your music exactly the way it sounded to the mixing engineer in the studio.
Shmerl Oct 22, 2020
MDR-CD900ST is supposedly flat as well. Though I just noticed that they have 6.35 mm connector. My amplifier has 3.5 mm one and using a convertor from bigger to smaller one is quite annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1vNSXojMn0

Interestingly, that video also references Yaxi stpad2-LR pads, that fit most Sony MDR headphones.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 October 2020 at 4:10 am UTC
Shmerl Oct 22, 2020
Here is also a review of the updated version of MDR-CD900ST - Sony MDR-M1ST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GPMYyMqFsY

The conclusion he makes is that MDR-CD900ST is better. If the sound is indeed so good, I don't mind getting an amplifier for 6.35 mm jack. Objective 2 allows customizing it when buying.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 October 2020 at 4:51 am UTC
damarrin Oct 22, 2020
I'm not particularly picky about sound, so I just use the Playstation Gold headset I got to play on the PS4. I can't judge its sound quality, it may just as well be very good. Or not.

It comes with a USB dongle and appears as a generic audio and mic device in Linux. On PS it has a swanky surround mode, just plain stereo on Linux.

It also has a 3.5mm jack input with mic so can be used wired without turning it on.

Now that the PS5 is around the corner Sony put out a new version called Pulse 3D that matches its aesthetic. It has the same basic features and will probably work the same with Linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.