[SOLVED] Metro Last Light is Unplayable Garbage [BUG(S)]
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
n30p1r4t3 Nov 13, 2013
Hello all,

I'm upset. I finally got around to install MLL on Linux, and the first time I start it I'm greater with "press the start button." That's all fine and dandy, but I DON'T have a controller hooked up. So as the menu flickers between "Press B" and "Press [Esc]" I am able to start a new game only to find out that when I try to move my character goes into spin mode and I'm stuck spinning in a circle. This as you might imagine makes the game unplayable.

Even if I try using a controller the issue is present and the button mappings don't line up. Please note that this controller config works with every other Linux title I have (including valve games).

I made a video, but I'll upload it tomorrow and edit this post. Where would be the best place to post this issue?

View video on youtube.com

System Specs:
Manjaro (Arch) XFCE x64 Latest Nvidia Drivers
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz
GTX 680 SuperClocked
32GB 1866Mhz Ram
Asus ROG Maximus V Gene
Roccat Kone XTD mouse
Roccat Illuminated Keyboard

UPDATE:

Unplugging the controller reciever fixed this issue. (So far)
Metro Last Light Linux Version Status (for me): PLAYABLE :)
SteamPenguin Nov 13, 2013
Thats a real shame runs fine for me on Manjaro
n30p1r4t3 Nov 13, 2013
Now with video!
n30p1r4t3 Nov 13, 2013
I'm going to update to the latest steam beta and see if anything changes.
tuxisagamer Nov 13, 2013
Try starting it with your controller unplugged.
n30p1r4t3 Nov 13, 2013
Quoting: Quote from tuxisagamerTry starting it with your controller unplugged.

I did. In the video the controllers aren't synced. I will try tonight with the wireless receiver unplugged. 
PlayX Nov 13, 2013
I have the same. But if i once press any button the contoller is synced with the game. then I can use mouse and keyboard normaly. I have the same problem with ets2.
n30p1r4t3 Nov 14, 2013
Quoting: Quote from PlayXI have the same. But if i once press any button the contoller is synced with the game. then I can use mouse and keyboard normaly. I have the same problem with ets2.
I just unplugged the wireless reciever from my rig and it works flawlessly. I really wish there was a way to fix this without that workaround. Maybe temporarily dropping xpad? I'll test and you you guys know.
fabertawe Nov 14, 2013
I've not seen that with my install (Arch x86_64) but I have no pads attached.

I have no idea if this is relevant but I have a Gigabyte Osmium keyboard which has been a bit of a pain in regards to it's "Osmium interface". It has macro keys which are unusable under Linux as there's no hid (keyboard) driver. This then appears as a joystick/mouse interface.

Anyway, bare with me, this became a real problem in the game "Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers" as it was being detected as a joy interface and rendering the game unplayable. The dev was brilliant and provided the answer, namely setting the environment variable SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'Osmium Interface' 0 0 0" to disable it.

So I now start Steam like this...

SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'Osmium Interface' 0 0 0" SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa" steam

I have no idea if Metro even uses SDL so it's a shot in the dark whether you could disable your wireless receiver like this when required. You could try and find it's name with

xinput --test-xi2
and then replace it where I have 'Osmium interface' above. It may help with other games, if not this one.
n30p1r4t3 Nov 14, 2013
Quoting: Quote from fabertaweI've not seen that with my install (Arch x86_64) but I have no pads attached.

I have no idea if this is relevant but I have a Gigabyte Osmium keyboard which has been a bit of a pain in regards to it's "Osmium interface". It has macro keys which are unusable under Linux as there's no hid (keyboard) driver. This then appears as a joystick/mouse interface.

Anyway, bare with me, this became a real problem in the game "Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers" as it was being detected as a joy interface and rendering the game unplayable. The dev was brilliant and provided the answer, namely setting the environment variable SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'Osmium Interface' 0 0 0" to disable it.

So I now start Steam like this...

Code:
SDL_LINUX_JOYSTICK="'Osmium Interface' 0 0 0" SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa" steam

I have no idea if Metro even uses SDL so it's a shot in the dark whether you could disable your wireless receiver like this when required. You could try and find it's name with

Code:
xinput --test-xi2

and then replace it where I have 'Osmium interface' above. It may help with other games, if not this one.

I'll definitaly try and report back. I just recieved an xpad update, so I'll report back regardless.
n30p1r4t3 Nov 15, 2013
Now my game wont start after a system update. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :><:
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.