You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Anyone know how to manually set screen PPI on Ubuntu 20?
Comandante Ñoñardo Dec 23, 2020
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Desktop Environment: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 970
GPU Driver Version: 455.45.01

Have you checked for system updates?:
Yes

I have a 48 inches 1080p TV that is not properly detected.

Ubuntu detect it as 720p 96ppi TV but I confirm that the screen panel has a true 1920x1080p Res with about 46 ppi according to this formula.

how to force the right ppi values on Ubuntu?
whizse Dec 23, 2020
You need to add the appropriate modeline manually. xrandr is the easiest way to do it on the fly:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr#Adding_undetected_resolutions

Later you can add it permanently in a suitable file in the xorg.conf.d dir.
Comandante Ñoñardo Dec 24, 2020
After reading more from that page, I realized that the problem is the TV EDID...
I don't know if I can override it with a local version.
CatKiller Dec 24, 2020
Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoAfter reading more from that page, I realized that the problem is the TV EDID...
I don't know if I can override it with a local version.

You can. There's an X config option specifically to ignore all or part of the EDID provided by your display. Then you can either load in your own EDID file, or just specify the appropriate options. Personally, I favour specifying the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges and letting everything else happen automatically, rather than a full modeline.

(I had a monitor that lied in its EDID back in the day)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.