Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
There is an idea running in this and other sites that feeds the Steam hate.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Quoting: orochi_kyoValve is doing what any other retailer will do in the same situation, asking manufacturers to sell at the same price, which seems fair because, in the end, the competition is about service. In a situation that any store gets a lower price this damage not only Steam but your beloved GOG, ORIGIN, even Console stores which I'm pretty sure to ask the same to devs, not selling the game cheaper on PC.
No. That is not what Valve is doing. Valve does not buy product for $X and sell it to the consumer for $X+Y. Valve is selling it for $X+Y, where $X is the developer profit and $Y is their profit. If the developer wants to sell it on another site that has lower site cost ($Y), they are required to sell it for the same price on steam and just take less profit. If Steam changes their model so that they decrease their profit instead of the developer's to match sales on other sites then I would see no reason to argue with the clause. That would be the retail equivalent. Both stores bought the product for $X, store 1 charged $X+5 while store 2 has a sale price of $X+2. Store 1 can match the price if they want. (In reality that's not quite true bigger stores can have better deals from suppliers than the small stores.)

As for Steam not being a monopoly, you don't have to have no competitors to be an effective monopoly and abuse that position. That's why Microsoft and Intel have both gotten in trouble in the past.
Liam Dawe 8 Feb
Quoting: CatKiller
Quoting: Liam Dawerampant fanboys
Wow. You really ought to take a break, or do whatever other thing helps you de-stress and get your head on right. This is a really terrible path for you to go down.
I don't need a break, I'm perfectly fine. What is not fine is the people, like the OP here, who keep going off on wild tangents about people.

This kind of stuff has to stop.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts