Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
XFCE Wayland transition: Testers needed
wvstolzing Feb 13, 2021
It's in progress: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap#short_term; let's spread the word!
Arehandoro Feb 14, 2021
Shouldn't the project be renamed to WFCE when the transition is finished, though
tuubi Feb 14, 2021
Quoting: ArehandoroShouldn't the project be renamed to WFCE when the transition is finished, though
I appreciate the joke but no. Early on XFCE was short for XForms Common Environment but that meaning was lost when it was rewritten on top of GTK a couple of decades ago. That's why the devs write it Xfce and not XFCE.

Sorry about the pedantry.
Arehandoro Feb 14, 2021
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: ArehandoroShouldn't the project be renamed to WFCE when the transition is finished, though
I appreciate the joke but no. Early on XFCE was short for XForms Common Environment but that meaning was lost when it was rewritten on top of GTK a couple of decades ago. That's why the devs write it Xfce and not XFCE.

Sorry about the pedantry.

Today I can say I learned something new. I really thought it was from the X server. Thanks for the explanation.
denyasis Feb 14, 2021
The X makes it sound cool, lol.

My old laptop uses XFCE and I generally like it a lot. I might give it a swing to see if can report and bugs.
mrdeathjr Feb 14, 2021
curiously dont seems stay completly agree about complete wayland transition

QuoteLong Term
It is not clear yet which xfce release will target a complete xfce wayland transition (or if such a transition will happen at all). Below a list of bigger junks which would need to be done in some way for such a transition.

Some of them are mostly agreed by xfce devs, others are controversial (or no decision was made so far).

personally (actually use xfce desktop) maybe think about test wayland in maybe 2 years (maybe for ubuntu 24.04) when stay more mature and fix many actual issues (input lag and other things related mainly with old apps)

Last edited by mrdeathjr on 14 February 2021 at 11:13 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.