Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
6900 XT HDMI 2.1 - no 4K120Hz
adolfotregosa Feb 16, 2021
Connected directly to LG C9. In Windows I have no problems with it. Tested an NVIDIA 3080 using the closed source driver and 4K120Hz worked fine under linux.
It is almost like it isn't actually using HDMI 2.1 rather 2.0

I am very new at using linux so I dunno were to actually start on this.. Please help ?

Suggestions ?
Shmerl Feb 17, 2021
Does it have DisplayPort connection? HDMI is a mess in general. Avoid it if possible.
adolfotregosa Feb 17, 2021
I was answered on phoronix forum with link to this article

Nothing more to say. Display port is not option unfortunately.
Shmerl Feb 17, 2021
Quoting: Guestthat is extremely disappointing on hdmi's part. i don't understand the reason for wanting to keep it closed up.

They simply don't understand the approach of open standards. HDMI is directed by a corrupt cartel with the only purpose of fleecing hardware manufacturers with patent fees. If not for their stranglehold on the TV market, HDMI would have been dead a long time ago and you'd see DisplayPort used everywhere today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#History

Last edited by Shmerl on 17 February 2021 at 8:04 pm UTC
pete910 Feb 21, 2021
HDMI needs to go the way of the doo doo . Why the big manufactures didn't decided this long ago is beyond me.
Shmerl Feb 21, 2021
Quoting: pete910HDMI needs to go the way of the doo doo . Why the big manufactures didn't decided this long ago is beyond me.

Corruption. It's controlled by cartel that profits from patent fees on it. They dominate TV market and that's why HDMI didn't disappear yet.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#History

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 February 2021 at 3:50 pm UTC
damarrin Feb 22, 2021
I don’t think you’ve posted that same link enough times yet.

Commercial entities would see no value in an open standard. Quite the contrary, in fact. If they’re paying for something, it means the seller takes responsibility for it and that mitigates risk. Since they’re making money, they are happy to spend money.

Open/royalty free standards are only of value to people who put in work for free and give away their work for free. That’s a tiny bubble in the sea of commerce and insignificant to the tune of less than 1% I’d say.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.