How to run another .exe in an existing proton wine prefix
DMG May 7, 2021
According to this example, it is should be possible to run exe file with existing proton, because I need it to execute in game environment. Only for me it ends up like this:

STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH="/mnt/extra/Games/steamapps/compatdata/489830/pfx" WINEPREFIX=$PWD "/mnt/extra/Games/steamapps/common/Proton 6.3/proton" run ./drive_c/setup.exe
esync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org

I can't find any explanation about this. Did anyone else encountereed witsh such problem?

Last edited by DMG on 7 May 2021 at 5:30 am UTC
denyasis May 8, 2021
I too, am interested in doing this with a proton wine prefix.

Thank you for sharing the example.

Looking at your error, what version of FreeType are you running? I think it's up to 2.10.x now. I can't imagine your distro not having something newer installed than 2.0.5, but it's worth a shot.
whizse May 9, 2021
If I'm not mistaken newer Proton versions are built against, and should be run with, the Soldier runtime.

When you run Proton outside the runtime it picks up the system libraries and if there's a mismatch you end up with problems.

I don't know if there's an easy way to solve this cleanly by using the runtime outside Steam but pointing LD_LIBRARY_PATH at the shipped libraries or installing the requested library version might be good enough.
denyasis May 10, 2021
I'm not a bash expert, but from reading the script, isn't it running the steam proton instance?

Not to rant, but this is stupid simple in Lutris, I can't imagine why they decided to make this so hard in Steam. Doing this should just be a button press in Steam.

Come to think of it... If Steam is set up to start it's version of Wine and then run a specific .exe for the game, could we just fake the game; Rename our exe to the game exe (and obviously rename the game exe). I guess it depends on what program you want to run, one time mod or patch installers might work, but I think more complicated companion programs might not work.

Ofc, we have to switch back to play the game...

Last edited by denyasis on 10 May 2021 at 10:43 pm UTC
thohal May 11, 2021
Quoting: DMGWine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.

WINEDLLPATH is missing.... Take a look here

http://gromano.fr/bludit/using-winecfg-or-regedit-on-a-proton-game-prefix
denyasis May 12, 2021
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.