Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Metro Exodus Performance Problems
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
peta77 Jun 2, 2021
Hi.

So I bought Metro Exodus while it was on sale recently. I thought with my RTX 2080 Ti I'd be prepared but all I get is 10fps max. at 3820x2160 with lowest rendering settings. Which is very surprising as others report it's running fine for them with high settings and a GTX 1080 on Linux.
Anyone with similar issues and ideally a solution? Steam forum where of no help so far.

P.S. I'm talking about the normal linux-native version; not the enhanced edition.
damarrin Jun 2, 2021
We’d need more info about your hardware, system, drivers etc before we could even begin to help you.
peta77 Jun 2, 2021
System/Hw: Look at "View PC info" under avatar
driver: 460.80
that's the newest currently available in the distro's repo...
damarrin Jun 3, 2021
Ah, ok, that doesn't show on mobile.

Any chance the nvidia driver isn't working and you're on nouveau? Any chance of installing something standard like Ubuntu on e.g. an external drive to see how it works there?

Last edited by damarrin on 3 June 2021 at 7:28 am UTC
Liam Dawe Jun 3, 2021
Are other games performing well?
Have you tried it in 1080p to see if the issue is still there?
Have you tried a newer driver?
peta77 Jun 3, 2021
Quoting: damarrinAh, ok, that doesn't show on mobile.

Any chance the nvidia driver isn't working and you're on nouveau? Any chance of installing something standard like Ubuntu on e.g. an external drive to see how it works there?

- driver works fine, definitely is the nvidia one
- even if i would have a spare disk and free sata-port, i don't want to start having a special distro for each game; and when did suse stop being a standard distro?

Quoting: Liam DaweAre other games performing well?
Have you tried it in 1080p to see if the issue is still there?
Have you tried a newer driver?

- other opengl & vulkan based games run fine (native and proton), didn't have any problems
- good advise: don't select a resolution which is not native, this only messes up things completely; for me it switch my x-server to a 4k virtual desktop with a viewport of 2k and metro became unusable
- there's no newer stable driver available... does metro depend on upcoming features which are available only in the testing/beta branch?

Last edited by peta77 on 3 June 2021 at 4:00 pm UTC
Xpander Jun 3, 2021
there is 465.31 drivers, which are stable but not long term branch. though i doubt it needs that.
i didn't have any framerate issues on my 1080Ti, though i'm playing 1440p.
It must be something weird on with your system... maybe try with different desktop environment or disable compositor? whats the GPU usage in the game?
peta77 Jun 3, 2021
Quoting: Xpanderthere is 465.31 drivers, which are stable but not long term branch. though i doubt it needs that.
i didn't have any framerate issues on my 1080Ti, though i'm playing 1440p.
It must be something weird on with your system... maybe try with different desktop environment or disable compositor? whats the GPU usage in the game?

465 isn't in the repo (yet)... hate to switch back to manual updating it.. but will try on the weekend...

other suggesitions/questions:
- compositor off: no change
- other desktop/wm (icewm): no change
- gpu utilization is at 22-28%

then there was an tumbleweed update pending, so i had it download and install 4.4k packages (must be something very basic was updated)... so everything's the newest version now... but no change either...
Xpander Jun 3, 2021
Quoting: peta77- gpu utilization is at 22-28%

Uhh that seems seriously bad. Hard to tell what though.. Some bottleneck somewhere or the drivers aren't working as they should. I would assume 4K would pull that GPU near 100% at least

But yeah... i have no idea whats going on with that.
Ehvis Jun 4, 2021
The wild card in your system is actually the Xeon CPU. Maybe something strange is going on with that. Maybe something related to power save?
Xpander Jun 4, 2021
Ohh i didn't even notice that its a Xeon CPU... that sounds quite bad for pairing with something like this high end GPU tbh... Maybe its missing some instruction capabilities that the native game makes use of?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.