Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
NexusMods stealthily changes policy to screw over content creators
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
dvd Jul 20, 2021
Well, the writing was on the wall for quite some time now. As much as mods are "grey" zone anyway, even the creators and the audience should've known things like this are bound to happen. It would be interesting to see if these large communities could create their own platforms, but it's highly unlikely as most modders don't give damn about free/libre content.
Pangaea Aug 12, 2021
Quoting: dvdWell, the writing was on the wall for quite some time now. As much as mods are "grey" zone anyway, even the creators and the audience should've known things like this are bound to happen. It would be interesting to see if these large communities could create their own platforms, but it's highly unlikely as most modders don't give damn about free/libre content.
I know for a fact that something is in the works. If it becomes a success is another question, and if people will embrace it, but it seems like a good solution that is more based on git. Unfortunately it seems to be based on the premise of having a github account, which is going to be a big stumbling block for getting widescale use. But it's a nice option for the time being, and looks promising.

Hopefully modders flee from Nexus. They deserve better respect for their work than outright theft, abuse and tall, elaborate paywalls.
Arehandoro Aug 13, 2021
Maybe it's time for us to create an open-source, and owned by the community, modding platform/website to prevent things like this in the future.
dvd Aug 16, 2021
Quoting: Pangaea
Quoting: dvdWell, the writing was on the wall for quite some time now. As much as mods are "grey" zone anyway, even the creators and the audience should've known things like this are bound to happen. It would be interesting to see if these large communities could create their own platforms, but it's highly unlikely as most modders don't give damn about free/libre content.
I know for a fact that something is in the works. If it becomes a success is another question, and if people will embrace it, but it seems like a good solution that is more based on git. Unfortunately it seems to be based on the premise of having a github account, which is going to be a big stumbling block for getting widescale use. But it's a nice option for the time being, and looks promising.

Hopefully modders flee from Nexus. They deserve better respect for their work than outright theft, abuse and tall, elaborate paywalls.

Tbh i rather have a paywall but then have the content be free to use and copy, maybe with some credit clause or reasonable modification clause, it would fit the spirit a lot better and it could even prevent copycats souring the original authors mood. (basically fitting it closely to the content alternative of free software with mandatory credits as those seem to be a great source of pride/motivation for lots of modders.) If they have something like a git site in mind, that might be along these lines anyway.
Pangaea Aug 21, 2021
Quoting: dvdTbh i rather have a paywall but then have the content be free to use and copy, maybe with some credit clause or reasonable modification clause, it would fit the spirit a lot better and it could even prevent copycats souring the original authors mood. (basically fitting it closely to the content alternative of free software with mandatory credits as those seem to be a great source of pride/motivation for lots of modders.) If they have something like a git site in mind, that might be along these lines anyway.
This is still very much an "in progress" kinda thing, so expect improvements, but it's one of the solutions being worked on. Hopefully there are others too, though I'm not aware of them myself.

https://aelto.github.io/modspot/browse/

There is a realm concept too, which from what I understood it is a way to hook into other non-Git places, like a forum listing, an own domain, Nexus, moddb, etc. Don't think Modspot would list the individual mods automatically, but if there is a realm file (like a quasi-mod) in the middle that talks to the API, then it should be possible. So in theory at least, this solution under development could show all mods from 10 different modding sites or whatever, and then link to the mod's original source, whether that be github, nexus, moddb or gameXmods.com and so on. It looks promising to me.

For best features, the developer says you need to log in with a Github account, which isn't ideal in my view, but on the other hand we require a nexus account just to download mods from those crooks, so in that sense this is already better.

Maybe somebody are working on a more "commercial" host-type alternative too, I don't know. I've heard some modders have gone to discord channels or private patrons too (but with free access/not paywalled), but naturally those aren't very easy to find. So a more accessible solution like Modspot could be a good solution. Time will tell I suppose
dvd Aug 23, 2021
Quoting: dvdTbh i rather have a paywall but then have the content be free to use and copy, maybe with some credit clause or reasonable modification clause, it would fit the spirit a lot better and it could even prevent copycats souring the original authors mood. (basically fitting it closely to the content alternative of free software with mandatory credits as those seem to be a great source of pride/motivation for lots of modders.) If they have something like a git site in mind, that might be along these lines anyway.
This is still very much an "in progress" kinda thing, so expect improvements, but it's one of the solutions being worked on. Hopefully there are others too, though I'm not aware of them myself.

There is a realm concept too, which from what I understood it is a way to hook into other non-Git places, like a forum listing, an own domain, Nexus, moddb, etc. Don't think Modspot would list the individual mods automatically, but if there is a realm file (like a quasi-mod) in the middle that talks to the API, then it should be possible. So in theory at least, this solution under development could show all mods from 10 different modding sites or whatever, and then link to the mod's original source, whether that be github, nexus, moddb or gameXmods.com and so on. It looks promising to me.

For best features, the developer says you need to log in with a Github account, which isn't ideal in my view, but on the other hand we require a nexus account just to download mods from those crooks, so in that sense this is already better.

Maybe somebody are working on a more "commercial" host-type alternative too, I don't know. I've heard some modders have gone to discord channels or private patrons too (but with free access/not paywalled), but naturally those aren't very easy to find. So a more accessible solution like Modspot could be a good solution. Time will tell I suppose

You seem like you follow this scene a lot more closely than i do, so i guess it's worth a try: are you aware of a well put together mod pack for skyrim that is ready for install without the crap mod managers/windows only tools?
slaapliedje Aug 24, 2021
Quoting: dvd

You seem like you follow this scene a lot more closely than i do, so i guess it's worth a try: are you aware of a well put together mod pack for skyrim that is ready for install without the crap mod managers/windows only tools?
For SkyrimVR too :)
Pangaea Sep 10, 2021
Quoting: dvdYou seem like you follow this scene a lot more closely than i do, so i guess it's worth a try: are you aware of a well put together mod pack for skyrim that is ready for install without the crap mod managers/windows only tools?
Sorry for the late reply, but sadly I don't have a good overview of mods for Skyrim. I have never played it :o
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.