Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Your next/last game purchase?
Page: «5/9»
  Go to:
MaximB Nov 2, 2010
Re: Your next/last game purchase?

You bought SS2 or do you mean SS Second Encounter ? (I don't remember that the beta client of SS2 worked for me).
Rustybolts Nov 2, 2010

Second encounters didn't even know of a Serious Sam 2, I wonder if I can purchase it anywhere on digital download or does it have to be installed from a cd?
Yeah I had a number of games I had bought when I used windows that just happened to have linux support.
Unreal Tournament (not installed currently)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Quake 1 + 2
Serious Sam 1 + SE (sam 1 not currently installed)

Max Payne one of the few games to work in Wine for me, Unfortunately I cant get my Half life 2 game to work though ( I get to menu and cant start game).
Hamish Nov 2, 2010

How well are the Serious Sam Linux binaries working for you RustyBolts? From my experience they are very much "beta" betas (especially The Second Encounter)... :|
Rustybolts Nov 2, 2010

Quoting: HamishHow well are the Serious Sam Linux binaries working for you RustyBolts? From my experience they are very much "beta" betas (especially The Second Encounter)... :|

Serious Sam works perfect for me
Serious Sam SE has a couple of graphical errors (strange sideways view stuck in ground slightly on occasion) but is mostly nigh on perfect.
Hamish Nov 2, 2010

The First Encounter works fairly well for me, though I had to do a bit of playing around to make the sound play glitch free. I installed it using the installer from LIFLG, and had to rework their launch script somewhat to make it play nice. My only problem comes in the final level, where everything starts to go foobar, including that strange sideways view glitch you mentioned.

The Second Encounter is nigh on unplayable sometimes. I really hope that Croteam would consider releasing the source code of their older titles, with Serious Sam HD now available I am sure the commercial value of the originals is very light so they would not be risking much if they released the code. Until then if I want to play through it fully it looks like I will have to resort to WINE.

I am not a huge Serous Sam fan though, it is a competent shooter but it tends to get aggravating and dull when you are constantly shooting at those headless suicide bomber things while trudging though tediously wide spaces. I can see it appealing to some, but not me, and no matter what they claim it is nothing like the original Doom. Doom was a corridor shooter. I do not even know if the Serious Engine ever even rendered a true right corridor.
MaximB Nov 3, 2010

I actually only recently got-legal by buying several games for cheap from [url="http://fun4tux.ch"]http://fun4tux.ch[/url] : SS, SS Second Encounter, Quake4, ET:QW and Tactical Ops.
For this price I had to buy those games in different language then English, I mean the data is in English - but the manuals and the cover are in German and French (and I thought that Euro supposed to be "bigger" then the USD).

As long as the data is in English...
Liam Dawe Dec 4, 2010
Well my last purchase was Stealth Target, good little game :D
Rustybolts Dec 4, 2010
Yeah its showing great potential. If he he adds a few more features it will be truly a great game.
Hamish Dec 26, 2010
We were talking about Serious Sam earlier in this thread, and while the following comment from Frank Earl does not shed any light on anything, I still feel I should post it:

QuoteIn actuality, we only fully know why Primal Rage went the way it did, but we don't have the full story on Serious Sam (Ryan, Croteam, and the publisher are the only ones that know the full story there like with UT3's story... For the longest time, Prey's story was the same one, but eventually it came out...)

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27845&page=5

Though I assume he meant to refer to "Primal Carnage" instead of "Primal Rage".
forces Dec 29, 2010
My last purchase was Amnesia, with I will probably never win :D
And before that, HiB#2, Minecraft, Sleep Is Death, and even before that HiB#1.
Not much of a gamer, but these're the things I had to buy...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.