Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Astro A20 Xbox edition on Linux?
WJMazepas Aug 27, 2021
Hello Everyone, recently i bought this headset Astro A20, i loaded up on my Ubuntu machine and its not working. It appears on lsusb

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc. M105 Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 9886:0042 Astro Gaming Astro A20
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2357:0108 TP-Link TL-WN822N Version 4 RTL8192EU
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1415:2000 Nam Tai E&E Products Ltd. or OmniVision Technologies, Inc. Sony Playstation Eye
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

But when i try aplay -l or pacmd list-sinks it doesnt show there.
The USB dongle is on PC mode.

i found this fix but i tried lots of combinations of device=hw:x,x and nothing seemed to work. I guess because on pacmd list-sinks it doesnt even show the headset as a USB audio.

Right now im using Kubuntu 20.04, with kernel 5.7.1-050701-generic.

Last edited by WJMazepas on 27 August 2021 at 3:40 pm UTC
whizse Aug 27, 2021
Any difference in PS mode?
WJMazepas Aug 27, 2021
Quoting: whizseAny difference in PS mode?

No. All the outputs are the same

edit:
I checked the file /proc/asound/cards too but got the same result

│ File: /proc/asound/cards
───────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │  0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
   2   │                       HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfcf60000 irq 67
   3   │  1 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
   4   │                       HD-Audio Generic at 0xfce00000 irq 69
   5   │  2 [CameraB409241  ]: USB-Audio - USB Camera-B4.09.24.1
   6   │                       OmniVision Technologies, Inc. USB Camera-B4.09.24.1 at usb-0000:01:00.0-1,
       │  high
   7   │  3 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
   8   │                       Loopback 1

Last edited by WJMazepas on 27 August 2021 at 4:59 pm UTC
whizse Aug 27, 2021
Here's a few general things you can try, if you haven't already. I usually follow these steps when my stuff gives me problems:

Is the hardware broken? - If possible, try it on Windows (or in your case on a Playstation?)
Is the problem my configuration? - Create a second virgin user account. Login and try it there.
Is my kernel or other drivers out of date? - Download a live USB with all the latest stuff and try it there.
WJMazepas Aug 27, 2021
Quoting: whizseHere's a few general things you can try, if you haven't already. I usually follow these steps when my stuff gives me problems:

Is the hardware broken? - If possible, try it on Windows (or in your case on a Playstation?)
Is the problem my configuration? - Create a second virgin user account. Login and try it there.
Is my kernel or other drivers out of date? - Download a live USB with all the latest stuff and try it there.

Its working, i used on my Xbox just fine.
Oh a second account works like that? I will try it.
I will try that too, maybe a Manjaro build with the latest kernel.

Thanks whizse
damarrin Aug 27, 2021
It's a silly question, but you did press the button to put it into PC mode?
WJMazepas Aug 30, 2021
Quoting: damarrinIt's a silly question, but you did press the button to put it into PC mode?

Yes i did. When i plug in, the dongle initiate in xbox mode, with a green light and i press it to make white and be on PC mode.

I tried the suggestions that whizse gave me and looked for other users with the same headset but apparently the Xbox edition doesnt work on linux. The PS edition works, only needs some config but it is recognized.
whizse Aug 30, 2021
I wonder if it's a similar issue to this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/AstroGaming/comments/k4ydv0/a20_gen_2_pcalways_have_to_manually_reconnect/

If the dongle doesn't find the headphones, it might not advertise itself as a sound capable device?
WJMazepas Aug 31, 2021
Quoting: whizseI wonder if it's a similar issue to this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/AstroGaming/comments/k4ydv0/a20_gen_2_pcalways_have_to_manually_reconnect/

If the dongle doesn't find the headphones, it might not advertise itself as a sound capable device?

Weird, when i turn then on, it pairs with no issues. But when i turn the pairing mode to connect then again, it fails
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.