Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Want to move over to linux, have some ideas but unsure of a few things
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Eike Nov 2, 2021
Quoting: denyasisFor the record I have Nvidia. It works just fine too, but my configuration is very "standard"

Same here, but as others said, if you want to play around with the kernel, AMD might be the better choice.

AMD used (IMHO) to be way worse some years ago. It improved hugely. If it is a bit ahead or behind, I can't say, but I was shocked that Valve recommended the first version for HL Alyx (VR) for AMD only. And for some (many?) it's a matter of purity: You'd use a closed source binary for Nvidia and an open source driver for AMD. The latter for sure is "linuxier".
deama Nov 7, 2021
I guess I'll try AMD next then, though I'm probably going to go for the 7xxx xt, not the 6xxx xt variants as I'm not planning on moving over for another year or whenever the GPU prices calm down.

Quoting: minfaerThere can indeed be endless discussions about the GPU vendor, but I would definitely recommend AMD especially if you want to install a custom kernel that closely follows mainline. The closed source driver of Nvidia by nature needs to be developed seperately from the kernel and thus can sometimes break on kernel updates until it has been adjusted for the new kernel.

Intel and AMD otoh have their drivers in-tree, so that cant happen.

Seeing your plans in general, do you have experience with linux? If not, it is quite ambitious to go for a niche distro and install a custom kernel - especially since you didn't mention any work that profits from low-latency like audio recording, and the use for gaming is questionable.
Yeah I've used linux before, tried moving to it as my main OS back in later 2018, but didn't go well at all, I tried both ubuntu and kubuntu, my experience in general with linux has been fairly unstable, so I want to go with an actually stable distro this time, with an emphasis for performance (window manager). I use linux for work so I got some experience under my belt.

I actually did some latency measurements back in 2019 or 2020 out of curiosity and found out that liquorix gave me less latency, I had a total latency of 40ms, and without liquorix it was 44ms. This is also with the compositor off, with the compositor on it was 48ms. A bit better than on windows 7/8.1, on windows the lowest I can get it to is 44ms.
That was with KDE plasma DE though, I'll have to re-measure when I try crunchbang++, I'm probably going to do even more tweaking as I'm currently compiling notes/configurations on what settings/packages etc... I want to use.

Still having a hard time deciding between nvidia/amd, I think I'll try AMD as it'll be my first try with them and I've heard some interesting points from a few people how amd is better for latency because they have more raw performance vs nvidia and a bit less "bloat" in the GPU itself, we'll see.

In the meantime I'm working on EMI as it relates to computer performance/stability, so far it has been going well, will be doing a final test to confirm in a week.
damarrin Nov 7, 2021
Well, good luck, then, be sure to let us know how you get on.
crt0mega Nov 8, 2021
Quoting: EikeAMD used (IMHO) to be way worse some years ago. It improved hugely.
I can confirm that, especially when you had to stick to the closed source drivers (fglrx or catastrophelyst). Heck, I even switched to Mesa before it catched up performance-wise because fglrx was so PITA on Debian/sid xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.