You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force Holomatch Gets Free 20th Anniversary Re-Release
gbudny Nov 6, 2021
Hi

Wep published the article about Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force Holomatch, which is now a freeware game:

https://www.wepc.com/news/star-trek-voyager-elite-force-holomatch-gets-free-20th-anniversary-re-release/

Unfortunately, the current version is available only for Windows and Linux. I didn't tried to build it on the other operating systems.

There was a previous project that required the CD with this game, but it was available for Windows, Linux (i386, x86_64, ppc), Mac, and FreeBSD:

http://thilo.tjps.eu/efport-progress/

Last edited by gbudny on 7 November 2021 at 1:47 am UTC
Mezron Nov 7, 2021
Man. I loved this game. I currently have the original installed but I'm going to download and see the differences in the freeware version.
Hamish Nov 7, 2021
Works smooth as silk for me and does not have the albeit minor announcer bug that iostvoyHM had.

I am not sure how I feel about this recent trend to grant source code access just to a select group of modders for older games rather than doing a full source code release though.

Daikatana, Unreal Tournament, Holomatch...
notinuse Nov 8, 2021
I have a working Elite Force installation via Wine (I have the original CD). Do I apply the holomatch update to this existing installation?
Hamish Nov 8, 2021
Quoting: notinuseI have a working Elite Force installation via Wine (I have the original CD). Do I apply the holomatch update to this existing installation?
No, this a new freeware release. Just download the Linux binaries and you are good to go. You do not need the original CD or the game from GOG.com or anything.
notinuse Nov 8, 2021
Quoting: HamishNo, this a new freeware release. Just download the Linux binaries and you are good to go. You do not need the original CD or the game from GOG.com or anything.

Thank you Hamish, running it now.
gbudny Nov 8, 2021
Quoting: HamishI am not sure how I feel about this recent trend to grant source code access just to a select group of modders for older games rather than doing a full source code release though.

Daikatana, Unreal Tournament, Holomatch...

It could be an issue if you want to run a game on the less popular operating systems like AROS, FreeBSD, and so on.

I think that they only get the permission to publish the game data of the multiplayer mode:

https://github.com/Chomenor/ioef-cmod

It doesn't look like the original source code of Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force Holomatch.

Last edited by gbudny on 8 November 2021 at 11:12 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.