Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Do you read Reddit?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Poll results: Do you use Reddit?
Yes

28 vote(s)
55%
No

23 vote(s)
45%
GustyGhost Nov 15, 2021
Quoting: denyasisOnly if the thing I'm searching takes me there...

And usually just for the content it links to. Their comment sections are really a mess to wade through to extract the rare, useful, instructive comment.
scaine Nov 15, 2021
Used to be reasonably active on there, but the attitudes are generally the worst kind of negativity that I need to avoid for my own mental health. Same reason I'm rarely on Twitter these days either. Both sites seem to attract the utmost of scum for any given topic.

After the /r/linux moderator debacle, I just thought "fuck 'em" and largely left forever. Google occasionally drops me back in, but I don't stay long. Otherwise, the only time I ever visit if you highlight a particularly amusing or jaw-dropping round of utter shithousery for giggles on either Twitter or Discord.

Life's too short for the kind of hatred, negativity and gatekeeping these sites breed.
eldaking Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: scaineUsed to be reasonably active on there, but the attitudes are generally the worst kind of negativity that I need to avoid for my own mental health. Same reason I'm rarely on Twitter these days either. Both sites seem to attract the utmost of scum for any given topic.

After the /r/linux moderator debacle, I just thought "fuck 'em" and largely left forever. Google occasionally drops me back in, but I don't stay long. Otherwise, the only time I ever visit if you highlight a particularly amusing or jaw-dropping round of utter shithousery for giggles on either Twitter or Discord.

Life's too short for the kind of hatred, negativity and gatekeeping these sites breed.

Same. I still browse reddit, but far less than I used to and mostly for a few outstanding places like AskHistorians. I left most game subreddits I used to browse, most Linux and tech communities, and stopped browsing the occasional "general" places or "meme" places that I already rarely went to.

People there are just too angry and rude and generally unpleasant. Some places try to apply strong moderation, but it festers somewhere else on the site and seeps through.
Liam Dawe Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: eldakingPeople there are just too angry and rude and generally unpleasant. Some places try to apply strong moderation, but it festers somewhere else on the site and seeps through.
That pretty much sums it up for me too. A lot of angry armchair experts out there, who all seem to use Reddit as their domain to take out whatever is eating them up. I and GOL directly are 100% banned from /r/linux for example, as the moderator CAP decided we were spam and went on a pretty loud attack on us in comments. I only use it myself for a few select things now.
Valck Nov 16, 2021
I don't follow anything on reddit, but don't specifically avoid it, and occasionally go there to look for specific information. So – No? Yes? Sometimes?

Not sure I actually want to know ;) but what's 'Lemmy'?
dubigrasu Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: ValckI don't follow anything on reddit, but don't specifically avoid it, and occasionally go there to look for specific information. So – No? Yes? Sometimes?

That's a Lemmy:
scaine Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: dubigrasu
Quoting: ValckI don't follow anything on reddit, but don't specifically avoid it, and occasionally go there to look for specific information. So – No? Yes? Sometimes?

That's a Lemmy:

Here's another Lemmy:

https://lemmy.ml/c/linux_gaming
slaapliedje Nov 16, 2021
Quoting: dubigrasu

That's a Lemmy:
I recently discovered there is a Motorhead video game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnyQitpiwLc
Mezron Nov 17, 2021
Quoting: PublicNuisanceNo but I do use Lemmy.

Same here.

I use to use reddit often but I found the communities there to be way too negative. I've joined Lemmy and been having better interactions on there.

I skim reddit from time to time but so far it's been more trash than not.
scaine Nov 17, 2021
Here's the problem I had with Reddit generally - if a post gets 200 upvotes by a small community, it's clearly a popular post. And yet the mods would still entertain the idea of gatekeeping something for any reason (e.g. "not related", "blogspam", "low effort post").

That's just weak moderating, giving voice to a tiny minority of gatekeepers and basing decisions around them.

It's even more infuriating when you consider that the upvote/downvote system is already the gatekeeping system. If something is popular, it will rise, if it's unpopular, it'll be buried. But those small voices still want to do their own gatekeeping and the mods enable it with that bullshit attitude.

And I think that's reflected in the Linux_Gaming reddit - really sad that a reddit with 200K subs will typically only get around 100-200 upvotes on an item unless it's absolutely huge news. To me, that suggests that the vast, vast majority of those 200K subs don't care about that subreddit anymore and have moved on.

I mean, I'm one of them and unless GOL links me to the subreddit, I never visit now.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.