Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Which SSD to buy for Linux?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
Eike Dec 19, 2021
Hi,

I'd usually not care about Linux compatibility for most hardware for Linux (about everything except WiFi adapters I guess).
Now I want to buy my first M.2 SSD (got only SATA SSDs installed).

From what I read, I would buy a Samsung, but... someone at GoL lately pointed at problems with Samsung SSDs.
Disabling queued trim doesn't sound tooo bad to me, but disabling NCQ altogether does.
So...
Does this apply to M.2 as well, or only to SATA plugged ones?
If it's (still) a problem with M.2 SSDs - what to buy instead?

Stay safe,
Eike
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
14 Dec 19, 2021
Well, how about a 970 instead then?
tuubi Dec 19, 2021
Quoting: EikeDoes this apply to M.2 as well, or only to SATA plugged ones?
If it's (still) a problem with M.2 SSDs - what to buy instead?
AFAIK this problem only affects Samsung 860 and Samsung 870 series SATA drives. Newer ones and Samsung's NVMe drives should be unaffected. I've got an 970 EVO Plus myself.
denyasis Dec 20, 2021
I also have a Samsung 970 NVME drive. 3 years old, not a problem in sight. Highly recommended!
Eike Dec 20, 2021
I should have done a little bit more research before posting.
I wasn't even aware that it's not the latest generation.
But still, good to hear you've got good experiences with it.
My first M.2 SSD is already on its way to me! :)
Thanks & stay safe!
Eike Dec 20, 2021
Quoting: GuestAppears this may be a bit late, but I have a WD and have absolutely no complaints about the performance. If I was to buy again I may have bought he 1TB model instead of the 500GB. I do have a secondary 2TB SATA for video, music, and picture backups.

Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 4.0 x4

Too late for me indeed, but maybe someone else reads around seeking for advice.
tuubi Dec 20, 2021
Quoting: GuestAppears this may be a bit late, but I have a WD and have absolutely no complaints about the performance. If I was to buy again I may have bought he 1TB model instead of the 500GB. I do have a secondary 2TB SATA for video, music, and picture backups.

Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 4.0 x4
My wife's 1TB WD BLACK SN750 seems to do the job just fine as well.
14 Jan 2, 2022
Quoting: EikeI should have done a little bit more research before posting.
I wasn't even aware that it's not the latest generation.
But still, good to hear you've got good experiences with it.
My first M.2 SSD is already on its way to me! :)
Thanks & stay safe!
Just a tip: Don't format your new NVMe with btrfs. Use ext4 or XFS. While btrfs is great for spinning disks and SSD, it surprisingly stinks in performance on NVMe.
Shmerl Jan 2, 2022
Samsungs should be OK. I recently got SK Hynix Gold P31 and it works fine too (this one is good for laptops especially).

A less known trick is that you can update NVMe SSD firmware using nvme tool. It worked for SK Hynix Gold P31 for me which only provide firmware image and tool for Windows for updating it.

Details: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_state_drive/NVMe#Generic

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 January 2022 at 9:14 am UTC
Eike Jan 2, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlSamsungs should be OK. I recently got SK Hynix Gold P31 and it works fine too (this one is good for laptops especially).

A less known trick is that you can update NVMe SSD firmware using nvme tool. It worked for SK Hynix Gold P31 for me which only provide firmware image and tool for Windwows for updating it.

Details: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_state_drive/NVMe#Generic

Arch wiki can't be praised enough.
I often use it - as a Debian user.
Shmerl Jan 2, 2022
Yeah, it was really useful. I was wondering whether I need to return the SSD since there was no clear way to update firmware for it, but then I found that method on Arch wiki.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.