Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Which SSD to buy for Linux?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
denyasis Jan 2, 2022
Quoting: 14
Quoting: EikeI should have done a little bit more research before posting.
I wasn't even aware that it's not the latest generation.
But still, good to hear you've got good experiences with it.
My first M.2 SSD is already on its way to me! :)
Thanks & stay safe!
Just a tip: Don't format your new NVMe with btrfs. Use ext4 or XFS. While btrfs is great for spinning disks and SSD, it surprisingly stinks in performance on NVMe.

I'm intrigued by this. By chance do you have a source or more info?

I ask as I've had BTRFS on my NVME drive since 2018 and even with "natural bloat" of the system, it still boots up in, let me turn it on and count.... 13 seconds.

My only point of personal reference is computer it replaced with was all HDD (from 2006), so I'm really curious if I'm missing out on performance gains and just don't realize it.
Shmerl Jan 2, 2022
btrfs with SSDs should be fine by the way. Just make sure to use noatime.
F.Ultra Jan 2, 2022
Thanks & stay safe!
Just a tip: Don't format your new NVMe with btrfs. Use ext4 or XFS. While btrfs is great for spinning disks and SSD, it surprisingly stinks in performance on NVMe.

Where does this come from? I have BTRFS on all my drives (a Samsung 970 EVO Plus as / and two WD Red 8T in Raid1 for /home) and cannot say that my performance stinks when compared with when I used ext4.
Shmerl Jan 2, 2022
I'd say XFS is still the best, but if you want more features like compression, btrfs is still good.

There is bcachefs in development as a future replacement for it, but it's taking a long time to mature.
denyasis Jan 2, 2022
Quoting: F.UltraWhere does this come from? I have BTRFS on all my drives (a Samsung 970 EVO Plus as / and two WD Red 8T in Raid1 for /home) and cannot say that my performance stinks when compared with when I used ext4

Actually, how is the performance for /home for you? My main anxiety towards moving /home off of my NVME is that I'd lose out on performance in a major way.

Or in other words, how much difference does NVME vs SATA have in terms of games?
F.Ultra Jan 3, 2022
Quoting: denyasis
Quoting: F.UltraWhere does this come from? I have BTRFS on all my drives (a Samsung 970 EVO Plus as / and two WD Red 8T in Raid1 for /home) and cannot say that my performance stinks when compared with when I used ext4

Actually, how is the performance for /home for you? My main anxiety towards moving /home off of my NVME is that I'd lose out on performance in a major way.

Or in other words, how much difference does NVME vs SATA have in terms of games?

Never had /home on NVMe, I moved from single SATA for whole disk to Raid6 on 3 SATA for whole disk to splitting / and /boot to a NVMe and later moved /home from my Raid6 to two new SATA drives. Would have preferred to be able to have /home on NVMe as well but 8TB drives don't come cheap there...
BlackBloodRum Jan 3, 2022
While SSD's do make a very very small portion of my personal storage, I've had good luck with WD's and Kingston, I only run around 8TB of SSD storage though, which is a mixture of NVMe and USB 3.2 drives.

A word of warning on the Kingston A2000 though, you might get an occasional controller lockup using this SSD with steam games updating.. so far I've not observed it do it with any other SSD or application.. why? I don't know, I even updated the firmware, still same issue.

With that said, the kernel will successfully reset the controller and the drive will continue working.

But I can also speak highly of the Crucial X8 2TB Portable drives, I've got two of those and while they do get hot, they also perform well for games without and problems, so long as you have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port.

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 3 January 2022 at 12:11 pm UTC
14 Jan 8, 2022
Quoting: F.Ultra
Thanks & stay safe!

Where does this come from? I have BTRFS on all my drives (a Samsung 970 EVO Plus as / and two WD Red 8T in Raid1 for /home) and cannot say that my performance stinks when compared with when I used ext4.
It comes from the Filesystem Roundup article in issue 283 of Linux Format. They in fact tested with an EVO 970.

The gist is use btrfs for HDD and SSD if you like those features (I like them), but stick to ext4/xfs for NVMe and USB stick. btrfs was 30% slower than the other filesystems on the 970 according to the multiple tests in this article.
14 Jan 8, 2022
Quoting: denyasis

Never had /home on NVMe, I moved from single SATA for whole disk to Raid6 on 3 SATA for whole disk to splitting / and /boot to a NVMe and later moved /home from my Raid6 to two new SATA drives. Would have preferred to be able to have /home on NVMe as well but 8TB drives don't come cheap there...
Your /home is 8TB? What the hell. I don't know what makes up that storage consumption, but maybe you should mount other drive types inside a /home/[user]/subfolder and then use NVMe for the rest of /home. Take as much advantage of your fast storage as you can (including swap file if you even use one).

FWIW, this is how my storage is set up:
NVMe for OS
Another NVMe for games and development apps
RAID0 SSD for, yes, more games
Spinning disk for large, mostly static files
F.Ultra Jan 8, 2022
Thanks & stay safe!

It comes from the Filesystem Roundup article in issue 283 of Linux Format. They in fact tested with an EVO 970.

The gist is use btrfs for HDD and SSD if you like those features (I like them), but stick to ext4/xfs for NVMe and USB stick. btrfs was 30% slower than the other filesystems on the 970 according to the multiple tests in this article.

Looking at the article it seams to be the Intel 530 and BTRFS had the same performance increase going from SSD to NVMe as the other filesystems. But then I have just been able to look at the free sample pages so perhaps there are some missing from the actual magazine. Yes BTEFS is slower than every other FS but that is due to BTRFS sacrificing performance for features (most importantly checksumming). That ext4 was slowed on SSD than BTRFS looks to be some misconfiguration because it shouldn't be.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.