You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How do you deal with games that clutter /home?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
GustyGhost Dec 28, 2021
Games (and other programs) that like to create new folders in /home/user/ frustrate me. It shows a windows mentality in the developers, failing to understand designated file structure. Even FOSS programs can be guilty of this.

Has anyone just given up and started keeping personal files somewhere else outside of home?
pete910 Dec 28, 2021
Can't say I have that issue, Games go in my games folder, Steam games are obviously in theirs within steam.

I cant say I've installed any programs that have requested nor placed themselves in the main user dir.
GustyGhost Dec 28, 2021
My recent example is GNUstep. They could have at least made it default to a hidden dotfile.
Avehicle7887 Dec 28, 2021
Quoting: GuestI've seen overriding $HOME work.

I never tried that. Might start implementing it to avoid games saving in .config or .local folders.
pete910 Dec 28, 2021
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: pete910Can't say I have that issue, Games go in my games folder, Steam games are obviously in theirs within steam.

I cant say I've installed any programs that have requested nor placed themselves in the main user dir.

Unfortunately there are many games that like to litter the home directory with saved games and config. Not as much of a problem since various XDG_* settings have started to be respected by most developers, but some games still like to do it.

There's not really a single way to fake the home directory for all games that do this unfortunately. I've seen overriding $HOME work, I've seen using LD_PRELOAD with a custom library to intercept certain function calls and return more reasonable value, and even chroot environments.

Still cant say Iv'e have any on mine, I know .conf DIR gets full from game folders full of config files /save games ect.

Lightworks creates a working dir for projects is all I have personally but that's understandable .
denyasis Dec 29, 2021
Since most of the game's directories are hidden, it doesn't look crowded until you show them, so it's not really a big deal to me.

I mean we already run executables out of /home/user and have a ton of other stuff in there, I don't think a ".folder" is really that offensive, but I understand how the clutter can be annoying.

If you really want to alter it, I think changing $HOME might work, or doing a ton of symlinks. I've done the $HOME thing once ever (rearranging partitions) and it wasn't what I'd call fun, lol

Last edited by denyasis on 29 December 2021 at 12:41 am UTC
eldaking Dec 29, 2021
After getting the tip on the discord, I use the .hidden file to make them "invisible" - just list each folder in a new line and they get bundled with other dotfiles.

Still not ideal because the real mess is with the hidden files anyway - .factorio, .renpy, .mozilla, .mono, .paradoxlauncher, .psensor, etc - but at least it gets rid of things like the visible "My Games" folder (created by As Far As The Eye - great game, just wish it put the files in a sensible place).
Xpander Dec 29, 2021
yeah the .hidden file with directories you dont want to show up helps with the $HOME mess when viewing from GUI..can still access those directories with command line or when showing hidden dirs in the filemanager.
Shmerl Dec 29, 2021
There are different tricks. You can indeed override $HOME, but some games are resistant to it due to the nature of system calls they use. Here is a trick I'm using for Umineko games for example:

ln -s $(pwd)/user_data/.Umineko4hdz $HOME

./"Umineko1to4"

unlink $HOME/.Umineko4hdz

I.e. create user_data somewhere where you want, put a symlink in $HOME for it (that will prevent it from creating a clutter dir but will give access to it) and then unlink it to clean up after the game exits.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 December 2021 at 6:15 pm UTC
Mezron Dec 30, 2021
I install all of my games directly into the games folder. Since my collection is DRM FREE and ROMs, I don't have issues with clutter.
gbudny Jan 1, 2022
Halloween: The new nightmare doesn't clutter your home directory because it keeps all configuration files and saves in one directory.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.