Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What distro do you use?
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Jan 22, 2022
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: pleasereadthemanualArch can get a lot of updates. It's the fastest package manager around, but some computers I don't touch for weeks and they need to upgrade 1000 packages. It can take up to 15 minutes.

Heh. I have a Gentoo rig that wasn't touched in over a year. It took a little longer than 15 minutes to update.
Found the NASA employee with access to supercomputers

GustyGhost Jan 26, 2022
Quoting: BlackBloodRum
Quoting: GuestHeh. I have a Gentoo rig that wasn't touched in over a year. It took a little longer than 15 minutes to update.
Found the NASA employee with access to supercomputers

Sidenote, but how did this meme originate? NASA is a little fish compared to the Department of Energy when it comes to supercomputing activity.
robvv Jan 26, 2022
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed here, with KDE Plasma on the desktop. I've been an OpenSUSE user since 2006 and whilst I have tried both Fedora and Ubuntu at various times, I found they didn't seem to have the ease of configuration that I find with YaST.

Pros: very up-to-date, YaST and lost of excellent community repos.

Cons: manually installing the latest Nvidia driver sometimes risks a conflict with Mesa libraries. This is relatively easy to fix but still rather irritating. Nvidia does provide an RPM repo, however, but I like to be able to meddle with drivers so this is really a problem of my own creation :-)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.