Steam keys from bundles.
bajojajo Jan 22, 2022
Hi,
If I buy a game (or a bundle) from a store like fanatical and then redeem key on Steam will it be counted as a Linux buy? Sorry for my bad english.
Ehvis Jan 22, 2022
Not by Steam, since it's not purchased there. Don't think Fanatical keep track of the purchase platform. In fact, only Humble was ever confirmed to do that, but whether they will keep doing that remains to be seen.
damarrin Jan 22, 2022
Steam might note the key was redeemed from the Linux client?
Jpxe Jan 22, 2022
Steam keeps track on playtime by platform, so just play your games on Linux, you can check it out on steamdb.info after you've enabled it in Steam's privacy settings

Last edited by Jpxe on 22 January 2022 at 9:21 pm UTC
lucinos Jan 23, 2022
As I remember last time this question was asked the answer was that It counts for the first two weeks the time you spend on each platform and gets the one with the most time. If you don't run at all the game for two weeks then it defaults to windows.

Last edited by lucinos on 23 January 2022 at 11:14 am UTC
Linas Jan 23, 2022
If recall it correctly, it still defaults to Windows even if you buy via a browser on Linux. Only counts as a Linux purchase from the start if you buy via the Linux Steam application. I am pretty sure that 75% of my library counts as Windows purchases, because I bought them "incorrectly".

In the end it does not really matter. Even if every purchase you made was counted towards Linux, the numbers would still be small. Valve knows it and the developers know it. So whenever they choose to support Linux, it's not because of the current numbers, it's because they believe in the future of the platform.
Ehvis Jan 23, 2022
Quoting: lucinosAs I remember last time this question was asked the answer was that It counts for the first two weeks the time you spend on each platform and gets the one with the most time. If you don't run at all the game for two weeks then it defaults to windows.

But that only applies to purchases on steam, not key activations. I don't think those are in the purchase stats at all.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.