Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Do you find any performance issue using NVIDIA force composition?
Minux Feb 9, 2022
I've been testing these days. In some games I get a lot of screen tearing. When I enable this option in the nvidia-settings the screen tearing goes away. I haven't noticed any performance difference, I'm curious to know if someone had any performance issue. As I've read it usually decreases a bit in performance, but it doesn't look like that to me.

I'm curious about this option because I usually end up enabling it every time I install Linux. But I don't really find a lot of people having issues when enabling it. (I haven't tried the force full composition pipeline, as I've read that's even worse for performance).

Wouldn't be a good idea to have it active by default in case the performance isn't really that bad? I know it's useful because I've searched for it. But I think for any beginner who comes to Linux it would be a real mess when you have screen tearing by default in a lot of games.
Mezron Feb 9, 2022
I've never had any performance hits so far. The most taxing game I play is Xonotic at this time, though.
Quoting: MinuxI've been testing these days. In some games I get a lot of screen tearing. When I enable this option in the nvidia-settings the screen tearing goes away. I haven't noticed any performance difference, I'm curious to know if someone had any performance issue. As I've read it usually decreases a bit in performance, but it doesn't look like that to me.

I'm curious about this option because I usually end up enabling it every time I install Linux. But I don't really find a lot of people having issues when enabling it. (I haven't tried the force full composition pipeline, as I've read that's even worse for performance).

Wouldn't be a good idea to have it active by default in case the performance isn't really that bad? I know it's useful because I've searched for it. But I think for any beginner who comes to Linux it would be a real mess when you have screen tearing by default in a lot of games.

Not necessarily performance issues but you'll add some extra input latency atop of the already existing latency in X11.
But the most important thing is, if it works for you and you have a pleasant gaming experience, there is no issues in using it.

I myself hate tearing as well. Oh boi did I cry in agony as they introduced the tearing protocol in Wayland ...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.